Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I recently purchased a MBRP catback for my focus and am considering installing it myself. On my previous car (which wasn't a focus) I had an exhaust shop install a catback for me. I watched him install it and I noticed he smeared this thick black stuff around the bolts before putting them in and tightening them. What is this stuff and would I need it ? It was in a small green canister if I remember correctly. At the time I didn't think anything of it but I got thinking about it and now I'm worried I will need this. He also smeared it in and around the hangers. I got thinking about locktite but he wouldn't use that stuff around the hangers. It must have been some thick lubricant any ideas ??

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe Graphite? So the bolts dont lock up. Dunno.. I installed my exhaust myself and I didnt use anything on the bolts.. Just the gaskets and some Wurth exhaust assembly paste where the FS exhaust slides into itself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed my exhaust myself also and the only thing i did was put some lube on the hangers to make it easier.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
for those that don't know, the hangers are removable with a 90 degree twist.
I wish I had known that.

(I cut a few stubborn hangers)

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^^ exactly its probably a no-stick compound because of heat from exhaust, you don't want to go to all the work and then if you ever have to remove the system (ie want to upgrade) you don't want the bolts to have siezed/rusted to shit...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts