Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright im not a total n00b but i want the record set straight....

i know what alignment is.....
i know vaguely what camber is....
toe is where i get lost....
since i just had my car lowered i want to know more so that i can find and correct a problem BEFORE i kill the stock tires......

any info appreciated....

thanks in advance

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
What did you use to lower it with? WHat was the drop? WHat tires/rims?

Just let us know some more info and then we can help.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im running stock 16" 6 spokes....
2" drop with Eibach Sportlines.......
and i kinda want a description of the actual terms toe and camber too, if thats possible.....

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Camber

The camber angle identifies how far the tire slants away from vertical when viewed directly from the front or back of the vehicle. Camber is expressed in degrees, and is said to be negative when the top of the tire tilts inward toward the center of the vehicle and positive when the top leans away from the center of the vehicle.

Toe

The toe angle identifies the exact direction the tires are pointed compared to the centerline of the vehicle when viewed from directly above. Toe is expressed in either degrees or fractions-of-an-inch, and an axle is said to have positive toe-in when imaginary lines running through the centerlines of the tires intersect in front of the vehicle and have negative toe-out when they diverge. The toe setting is typically used to help compensate for the suspension bushings compliance to enhance tire wear. Toe can also be used to adjust vehicle handling.

When you lower your car, it directly affects camber (more negative). However, in the process of un-bolting and install suspension parts, your toe can get knocked out of wack, and lead to premature tire wear. That is why you should get an alignment everytime you modify your suspension.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot that was very informative......
i couldn't have asked for more....
except 1 little thing.....
if you are trying to increase handling do you want a slight toe in or a slight toe out????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts