Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i know i'm completely green to the focus world...

i have used the search button, but it doesn't do me much good when i have no idea with what i'm looking at. i feel like i'm trying to learn greek here! lmao.

ok, i know i have this: 2005 ZX4 SE. 2.0 w/5spd. 1362xx miles

it's completely stock besides a junkyard grille that i got for really cheap and had to bend out a little.

i do have some mechanical knowledge, it comes from what i'm used to.. (97-04 dodge dakotas) i've rebuilt a 5.9, headgasket on a 2.5 (yes jeep, but i have an extremely base dakota with one from factory) not that all that info is out in the open here is my issue, and some ideas i've been kicking around...

@ idle, there is a clicking sound... one guy said it might be a rod knock.. but then switched to the timing belt/chain bandwagon

it's deff on the passenger side of the engine though.

i'm leaning towards timing belt/chain... but what does that entail and what style motor do i have? all i know is it is a 2.0 that she wanted to buy from her step dad, and he has owned it since new... and he maintains his vehicles so that's an issue.

yes it needs an oil change (gonna do it once the fiance gets back from work)

i have a feeling i have a SPI motor from doing some searching, but then again i'm so green to this platform that i'm still not 100% sure.

i did see a Zetec motor in a focus at the junkyard 5 mins from my house so i know its not a Zetec in there... (on a side note could that swap in easily w/o swapping the trans/harness)

the car isn't in my driveway at the moment or i would get some kinda video posted, but any kinda idea as to what i really have vs what i could really do would be great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have heard the same noise on mine (a 2002 zx5) its not to loud... and it seems to to go away when my car has warmed up...

my noise is also on the passenger side of the engine...

this is not the first focus ive heard have this issue... a friend of my had a 2003 se that had this same issue but it was louder, more noticeable, did not stop when the engine warmed up and the sound of the click/knock noise got louder as he the rpms got higher...

I too have been wondering what this is, if you find anything out id be happy to know

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll deff let ya know if i find out anything, but it does go away/quiet down when warmed up as well.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Shokota: you have a duratec..ive heard that those engines can be very loud... go and read some post over in the duratec lounge. You will get to know your car very well once you read things on here.. it could be anything but im going with valve train and injector noise

zach man : look over in the zetec lounge but... its very common for Zetecs to be loud when cold. The valve train and the fuel injectors can be noisy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts