Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 ZX5 with 2.3L Duratec is doing something I've never seen before. The service engine light is on at
about 10% of its brightness. It can only be seen inside the garage or at night. The light works fine, it lits up
at 100% at start-up.

I connected the OBDII reader and it shows no codes (clean).

Please help me on how to fix this issue

Pete [drummer]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[popcorn]

We have thousands of members and many many cases and nobody experienced this issue?

The engine light light is now on about 50% of its brightness. It stays on even with the car off and key off the ignition. I connected the OBD II reader again yesterday and there are no codes. The car runs like a champ, doesnt smoke, doesnt burn oil.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally after looking for this crap, plugging, unplugging, checking for grounds I got to the fuses. Disconnecting #36 (instrument cluster+hazard lights) the light goes off.

I assumed it is a short, but the fuse is not blown.

Anybody with electrical experience?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Probably no one's answered because, it looks like all the instrument cluster lights have a common ground, and are powered through the cluster electronics. A single partially lit lamp, probably indicates a partial short from hot to the hot side of the lamp. This would have to be internal on the instrument cluster, and likely isn't serviceable. You aren't supposed to be able to open it up, right?

I guess you could try removing it and seeing what can be opened without drilling or removing tamper evident screws, maybe just taking it out and shaking it you'll dislodge a loose bit of wire or metal that's causing the short.

Hmm, looking at the chilton manual, "The instrument panel must be kept in the upright position, to avoid silicone liquid leaking from the gauges"

Anyway, you are supposed to be able to take the cluster to a dealer for diagnosis, if they hook it up and see the same problem, you know for sure it's internal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kevin.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you can't just take the cluster alone to the dealer. Not sure where you got that from, considering you need the rest of the car to run an ic test. Which, I'm not positive but I don't think that test was even offered on this old of focus. Once removed, you'll have access to the electrical runs on the cluster via the rear of the cluster. Look for any abnormalities, i.e. slight burnt markings. However, either way, sounds like you need a new cluster, which isn't uncommon. Hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Second that, only times I've seen this issue B4 it was a "Cluster" issue....

Had one myself with an intermittent brake warning light, "fixed" with a different Cluster....

Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
you can't just take the cluster alone to the dealer. Not sure where you got that from, considering you need the rest of the car to run an ic test. Which, I'm not positive but I don't think that test was even offered on this old of focus. Once removed, you'll have access to the electrical runs on the cluster via the rear of the cluster. Look for any abnormalities, i.e. slight burnt markings. However, either way, sounds like you need a new cluster, which isn't uncommon. Hope this helps....
got it from the chilton manual, if it's wrong it's wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts