Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do a quick write up on how to reaplce your rear motor mount in a n/a mk3. Bare with me as im not one for words, give me a break im a motorcycle mechanic, so this thread uses a lot of pictures.

To get started you are going to need a T30 torx bit, 13/15mm wrenches or sockets, a lift or car ramps, and about 45 mins. Optional is a engine stand to help align bolt holes during installation. You dont have to have one but it sure helped!

1st off remove the slash gaurd/ engine cover from below the car. This is held in with about 8 torx screws......

After the cover is removed then you can start by removing the bracket that holds to mount to the motor and the bolt that holds the mount to the frame.

Once those bolts are removed you can then remove the bracket, once thats gone you can remove the old mount.

With those two items removed you can now slide your new rear motor mount into place where the old one once was. You need to do this BEFORE reattaching the bracket. (Also I used a Cobb RMM, and it came with a replacment bolt to attach the mount to the bracket. This isnt the case for everyone)

In order for you to get the holes to line up to reattach the bracket to the mount you simply just need a little force in whatever direction the hole is off by. I used a spiral motor jack so it made it really easy.

Once all your bolts are back in and torqued down take a good look at your mount.......... sadly this is the only time youll get to see it! Reattach the splash gaurd/engine cover with the T30 torx screws and your good to go! Hope this was helpful to anyone needing guidance. If i missed something please let me know!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good job ShoOff! I can't wait to have a little fun on the way to FF13. I'm thinking about a tuner but not sure at the moment.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Idk about you guys, but isn't the pretty stuff that people Can't see, still as fulfilling as the stuff that "wows" externally?
Great write up, I don't have an MK3, but I definitely appreciate a benefiting upgrade =]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the comments guys!! DIdnt know if i was waisting my time or not. If anyone needs help with this or Injected tuner ?'s please feel free to give me a call.

Also Spraypaint, Whats to think about bro! Its sooooo worth the money! But deff looking forward to out caravan up to St Louis!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much was the Cobb? Definetly a must do mod.
I think the Cobb mount ran me like $170. I know there are cheaper options out there, (MS#, electric, etc) but something about the Cobb spoke to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see a lot of people recommending replacing the rear motor mount, but I'm unclear as to what benefit is gained from it. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock mount is WAY to soft of both N/A models and the ST. Becasue of this sometimes under hard acceleration you get a lot of "Wheel hop" and sometimes the motor its self will even slam into the firewall! Replacing with a stiffer mount reduces all of that and will make your car more "connected". It will also help put power down to the wheel instead of the loss your get with engine movment.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Awww man write up with edited pics and everything and still no rep! lol You people are hard to impress! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?! ;)
A lot of people that will rep you won't have the minimum number of posts for it to qualify. Most of the people that have the minimum number of posts are senior enough to know how these mods have been done. Trust me, it's not an overnight thing. I don't even know how many how-to's that I've done, coupled with the number of posts that I've made, and you see where I'm at. Give it time and keep contributing to the community and it will come.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Awww man write up with edited pics and everything and still no rep! lol You people are hard to impress! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?! ;)
I rep'd you. This write-up needed to be done to show some members how simple of a mod this is. Good job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great write-up! I think the pictures do help visualize how easy it is to change. I replaced mine with the Focus Electric RMM a couple weeks ago - it was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! Good to have step by step process (even though it looks simple) and clear pictures.

Was there an increase in vibrations after installing the new mount?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice write up, I'm planning on buying the E-Focus RMM (so much cheaper!) when I get my 2014.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the write-up! Good to have step by step process (even though it looks simple) and clear pictures.

Was there an increase in vibrations after installing the new mount?
There is a noticeable increase in idle and lower RPMS but the vibrations in no way would make me think about going back to stock!

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
After my failed attempt to install the CP-E stage 2 RMM. I ordered the cobb because you proved it fits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The stock mount is WAY to soft of both N/A models and the ST. Becasue of this sometimes under hard acceleration you get a lot of "Wheel hop" and sometimes the motor its self will even slam into the firewall! Replacing with a stiffer mount reduces all of that and will make your car more "connected". It will also help put power down to the wheel instead of the loss your get with engine movment.

Does this effect the lurch felt when coming on/off throttle&clutch at low speed?

1 - 20 of 200 Posts