Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference in the MZR 2.3 & the Speed3 motor's? I know the spped is direct injection & the n/a 3's are varible intake timing. What about the rod's/ piston's/ valve's are they one piece on the speed or not? crank's? Just a thought if you could buy a wrecking yard motor, if these motor's had upgraded rod's/piston's. Instead of building one. I'd upgrade the rod's & piston's & valve's, the crank would be ok for my use. Any thought's are welcome!! Thanx for your input! [thumb]

·
Registered
3 Posts
The mazda DISI engine has a smaller stroke on the crankshaft than the duratec, aswell the crank main journals are bigger, along witht the rod journals. The pistons on the DISI are larger in diamater aswell. The cylinder heads are different in the oil and cooling pathways, along with this the DISI head has a seperate cam tappet for the high pressure fuel pump.

The duratec/mzr heads can be made compatible for the DISI block with heavy machine work, but this I haven't seen done in anything shy of a 1000+hp drag/race car.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
The mazda DISI engine has a smaller stroke on the crankshaft than the duratec, aswell the crank main journals are bigger, along witht the rod journals. The pistons on the DISI are larger in diamater aswell. The cylinder heads are different in the oil and cooling pathways, along with this the DISI head has a seperate cam tappet for the high pressure fuel pump.

The duratec/mzr heads can be made compatible for the DISI block with heavy machine work, but this I haven't seen done in anything shy of a 1000+hp drag/race car.
I don't think the crank journals are different considering cosworth produce a crank for both engines.

Plus considering these are production cars I don't think ford is going to piss away extra money to change the block that much.

Now I could see them changing it to direct injection, other than that nothing else because they would have to much money tied into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What you think and what is reality are two different things. Not trying to bash but my statements are facts about the DISI engine compared to the MZR/duratec engine.

The DISI engine is specifically made for direct injection turbochargingar this is why the specs are different for the DISI engine. Not just that The direct injection changes quite a bit about the heads characteristics, and the DISI engine block was designed for HP and reliability in mind.

They are two seperate platforms while sharing common characteristics they however are two different engines, which can be made compatible with extensive machine work. I would know I do work with a company who uses a modified DISI block and duratec head on a regular basis, for their drag car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts