Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Dtec 2.0 - Son changed spark plugs when installing a new valve cover gasket a few months back. Today had an issue at startup and checked fuel pump fuse, relay, pcv hose, and other things. Accessed the spark plugs and found this cylindrical object in the second from left spark plug well. It looks like plastic but it feels more like hard graphite and it is attracted to magnets. Son does not think he dropped anything in there by accident but we cannot figure out how this got in the well - seems crazy! Soooo, does anyone recognize this little piece next to the ruler???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Look inside the spark plug end of the ignition coil for that cylinder. You should see the end of a spring and inside the spring should be a cylindrical conductor which Im betting is the part you found inside the spark plug well. The coil will not fire the plug with that part missing. As a comparison pull another ignition coil from another cylinder and look inside it and I think you will see that part inside. Let me know what you find.

Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes you are right on. I thought I had checked it but it goes in the part of the spring that is not stretched out and I did not see it in the dim light. I just got everything put back and was about to test it - thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Oh yes you are right on. I thought I had checked it but it goes in the part of the spring that is not stretched out and I did not see it in the dim light. I just got everything put back and was about to test it - thanks for the heads up.
[thumb]

Let me know how you make out.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts