Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time in the past there was a thread about a mild hesitation, almost a miss, that some Foci owners have had. Cures ran the gamut from transmission to fuel system to ignition system.

Well, my 2002 LX with power-nothing has been giving me grief for about a year. Since I have the luxury of a spare car and some extra bucks I threw some money at the problem.

Ignition system parts, emissions system, electrical grounding, etc.

Well, I finally decided to replace the spark plugs again and that seems to have cured the fault. Last year I replaced the plugs with Bosch Double Platinum's and figured all was well. The problem didn't start with them. In any case I bought a set of stock Motorcraft plugs, AGSF34, and viola!

So just consider this another possibility if you are having this sort of problem. I hope my little experiments help at least one of you guys and gals out.

Brian

·
Registered
872 Posts
About 25 years ago when I owned an '82 VW Rabbit on two separate occasions I had a miss after installing new sets of the recommended Bosch plugs......one of my workmates who was a VW expert told me to use NGK plugs. Never had a miss of any kind after that and I drove it for 19 years, and I've never bought another Bosch spark plug for any car since.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Seems some cars are picky about spark plugs. I use the dealership plugs on my car to avoid this problem. More expensive today but on the long run, less hassle!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ditto on Bosch plugs

A few years back doing routine maintenance on my Volvo 240 I install the prescribed set of OE Bosch plugs as I had in a couple of previous tuneups. Had a hesitation after. Scratched my head, had it at the dealer and he said bad plug. Changed them out w/ NGK's and voila, problem solved. Moral of this seems to be Bosch doesn't do a very good job on quality control.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The issue with Bosch plugs with some cars is that they can be too "hot"...and can cause pinging in some cars?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I've always had good luck with NGK's, 'course that's PRIMARILY on motorcycles that came with them stock.... (grin)

As my Engineer buddy with a Porsche I work on reminded me the other day when I mentioned the Bosch issues we've seen here, you USUALLY get the best results with the plugs that were factory spec'd for the engine - So the original Bosch coppers went in his 944, I use NGK in my Goldwing, the factory Ford plugs are doing fine in my Focus, etc..

And as one poster just commented, if you change something and it's not happy, that MAY just be the issue... (grin)

Take Care!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts