Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can not find a clunk in the rt front of our 2001 4 dr. Clunks over bumps and makes similar noise going from drive to reverse after cold start/high idle.

Checked all fasteners, inspected control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod end, sta bar links. Car had struts and springs about a year ago. Changed all three engine mounts (idle vibes are improved but no effect on clunk).
Disassembled and checked brakes that are only about 5k old.

It's a mystery clunk! Ideas??

·
Registered
505 Posts
I replaced the control arms, both sway bar bushing/link, inner and outer tie rods and I still have a clunk as well. I have yet to replace my strut bearings. Have you had those replaced when they did the shocks?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That sounds like sway bar end links. Those don't give too much of a outward sign. The nut will be tight, but if the link itself is easily rotated, then it's bad. How did you check the end links?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an extra cheap new duralast link and threw that on the noisy side. Problem solved. This set of duralasts went LESS than a year and 9,000 fairly good weather miles. Who has the best? Car will be sold soon but I don't want the buyer to have to mess with this for a while. thanks

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Eh, it's their car, so unless the buyer is family don't feel guilty. I've been really disappointed with the quality of aftermarket end links. Mine were Moog and I swear those went bad in about 20k or so. I just left them like that. Eventually I'm going to try someone else- preferably one that comes with a nylon locking nut. Ford's lasted 50k miles, and so far that's the best I can relate to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts