Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres some oily substancce thats dripping from my clutch pedal to my floor mats. i have no idea what it is, what could be causeing it, or if its a really bad sign. anythoughts?

just so you know i drive an 02 SPI sedan with the IB5 manual tranny

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You probably have a leaking hydraulic cylinder leaking onto the clutch pedal and need to have it replaced. If you check the reservoir under the hood on the firewall, you will probably see that it is getting a lower fluid level as it leaks out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much is this gonna set me back?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^well i was begining to suspect brake fluid, and i have rubber mats so its not on the carpet. but it could be awhile before i can replace it, will that be a problem? or should i brake out the nececisary funds now?

also could this be part of my brake issues?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
and i have rubber mats so its not on the carpet. but it could be awhile before i can replace it, will that be a problem?
^^^ Yes. Brake fluid is a rather caustic product.

or should i brake out the nececisary funds now?
^^^ Yes.

also could this be part of my brake issues?
^^^ Most likely. What brake "issues" are you having?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did you clutch pedal make any mystery sounds before the mystery fluid showed up?

I noticed mine is making that traped air sound now but i havent had anything apart to get air in the system so im thinking my seal is on the way out as well.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no it didn't

but my brakes are always kinda pulsy, i've had a brake job since, so i know thats not it. At one point the rear brake line burst and my whole brake system failed.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
This is typical, mine gave out at 60,000. A new master cylinder should run you about $50-60 at the dealership, maybe slightly less elsewhere. Its really not that hard to do, if you pop the engine compartment fuse box out of its mounting and push it aside you can see where the lines run in and out. You'll probably spend more time bleeding the clutch than you will replacing the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Just a small caution, brake fluid will damage paint. Be careful not to touch painted surfaces after you've "sampled" the fluid with your fingers until you have wiped or washed them off.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, but is it bad to drive like this? or can i wait a week till the pay check clears?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I drove around for a few weeks when mine was dripping...the worst that will happen is the seals could give out completely and you won't be able to drive the car. I'd get it fixed ASAP, but if you have to wait for your next check I'd drive it as little as possible. You may also want to look into a vaccum or pressure bleeder, bleeding the clutch hydraulic system can be difficult using the traditional push the pedal-open the bleeder-close the bleeder-release pedal-repeat method. I have a Motive Products power bleeder (http://www.focussport.com/brakebleeder.htm), and I've had to bleed my clutch twice since I've had it and it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are the chances of that? my leaks too right on my floor (rubber) mat. I thought it was coming from my work boots from the shop. just today when i got home i inspected under the steering area and found fluid seeping out from the clutch piston rod. so.. i guess a new part is in progress...[?|]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts