Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 ZXW with just under 60K on the odometer intermittently displays flickering of some dash cluster lights when the car is shut off with no key in the ignition, with or without any doors/hatch open. ALSO car will occasionally sound some "beep" (vs. "ding") tones, but not for any reason I can identify -- also engine off no key-in/door open/lights on.

Car starts and runs fine; no OBD codes are showing up on my Garmin OBD to GPS interface; battery voltage is about 11.9 engine off, 14 + ish with engine operating, idling or cruising. During engine-on operation all cluster lights and advisory tones seem appropriate.

Any body seen (heard) this symptom set (especially beeps)? Reviewed several threads with mentions about flickering lights but most seem to be talking about engine-on issues and none mention beeps/tones. As intermittent as this is, I understand it could be a dog to troubleshoot.

Any help appreciated. Besides this forum, reply to [email protected] appreciated too. THANKS

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
If battery only volts are accurate the car shouldn't even start, they give trouble below like 12.3 volt. Good battery runs from 12.3 to 12.8 volt.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I've started a Focus on under 11 volts just fine. Depends on how big the battery is though.

Sounds like a problem in the Power Hold Relay circuit to me.
Poor ground/s.
Possibly a bad ECU Diode in the underhood box, though I've never heard of this causing any problems.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Bad PCM Diode = Power Hold Relay will not energize = Dashes on odometer = No Start condition.

Edit: but yes, it does sound like maybe the power hold relay is sticking On some? hmmmm?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Check that you get a Door Ajar caution light when engine on; open and close all 5 doors one at a time. Also test that interior cabin lights turn on and off when opening and closing each door AND the hatch/liftgate.

Lots of stories here about wire damage inside the rubber boot of the liftgate. Inspecting this area should be done once or more during the life of the car.

check this out;
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Weird electrical things happen to older Foci. Given that yours is a wagon, Marde has excellent advice...check that hatch wiring! Many, many issues hide inside that rubber boot.

Guessing you have two wires that have no insulation left that are occasionally touching each other and giving power where there shouldn't be any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts