Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have two questions. One is what is this filter(top right)? I have a hose that runs from there to my intake. And question two is, where did his thing(don't know what to call it go? BTW this is Roush06's car i believe.

His car

My car

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some people put a filter there to keep the oily mist and who knows what else out of the intake pipe. I did this to mine when I put my CAI on

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so it doesn't hurt? or help?

And if i was to do it what would i do with the whole in my intake?

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Put another mini-filter [hihi]

·
Banned
263 Posts
plug that hole in the intake. the benefits from this is keeping oily mist out of the intake air and eventually the engine. yeilding no increase in power but in some case a slight bit of throttle response. not a bad idea. only downside is if you have a motor thats not to tight internally you can get a oily spray out getting oil on bottom of hood and other parts. but in most engines under 60k mile shouldnt have this prob.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Helps to keep the oil out of your intake manifold, so it is a good thing to do.
The only problem with doing so, is you may not pass emissions testing depending
on how strict they are in your area when you get your car inspection done.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i believe that is part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. it may help emissions as well. id leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I am getting mixed answers. Should I do it or just leave it be. If it doesn't hurt anything and it is just for looks I may cause the duratec engines are ugly and anything that can help would be good.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
no no no don't do it, that is the "intake" for the PCV system, the oil in the IM comes from the other side, the "exhaust" side which is behind the intake manifold.

putting a filter there introduces un-metered air into your engine and causes a slightly rough idle and a slightly lean condition

that hose "sucks" not "blows"

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
thank you evan. just needed confirmation, as i wasnt sure, since i know the pcv valve is under the IM. just saw so many posts saying it was for the 'oil mist.' now, knowing i was right.....

do NOT do this!! it sucks in the air. as warner said, it brings in unmetered air. the other issue is that if not flowing right, the pressure can build up incorrectly. in this case, it wouldnt be as bad, but oh man, on my last car....i did something stupid like this, and the pcv wasnt operating correctly. the valve cover gasket actually burst its seal b/c of it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
danm thats a good lookin bay on the first pic. but any ways yea that is my old car. i opend the thread and saw the pic and was wtf that looks like my old car. ok the reason the filter is there is because i had made a home made version of the steada sri. thats why its there. and i'm pretty sure there was a thread some were back about tom saying to just vent it to the atmospher. i will dig it up later unless he will chime in for me. and about the second question mine was an o6 and i have seen this issue with some one else who had an o5 were u have a big black rectangle looking box over there, well i'm pretty sure all that is in that box is the wire for the alt. thats all i had there. i just moved it over to the side. ran it along the valve cover.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
yea, if u look just next to the red line you will see the black cable running from front to back of the pic thats the same thing that runs threw the black box thing ur asking about. zx360 had asked me the same question about his. i'm yet to actually find some one with an 05 that is willing to let me "open" it on for exploring.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
lol, thats funny....ur just lookin thru, then u see this, and ur like....hey! wait a minute!

Reactions: 06Roush

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
yea, at first i was like danm some one did a nice wire tuckin/moving around. then i started looking at it some more and was like wtf thats deffinatly my car. then i read what he had written. i was confused as all get out. but i will say i do nice work.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts