Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I have a rattle like sound that can be heard thru the exhaust. System is as follows: wrapped header to wrapped ORP to cfm flex to magnaflow cat back. All gaskets are brand new and slipjoints are sealed with exhaust paste. I can't for the life of me find the source/cause of rattle. It doesn't do it under smooth acceleration. Only when you go WOT from 2000 to about 3500 in 2nd and 3rd. The sound is metallic and similar to what you would expect a loose hose clamp around the exhaust tip to sound like. Heat shields are all snug and removed in a few places. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it possible that sound is coming from the engine and I hear it in the exhaust? I know the ORP is raspy but if this was rasp I don't think anyone would ever get one. Any and all ideas are welcomed because I'm completely out of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My exhaust was rotating upwards at the cat when under heavy load until I replaced my worn out motor mounts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put a cfm race mount on two months ago. I did change the three exhaust mounts to the polyurethane mounts so I'm curious if that's having some sort of an effect.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have the same rattle it sounds like. To me it sounds more like it's coming from the header or the high flow cat in my case. I also have the poly exhaust hangers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear the sound coming from the rear. The tailpipe doesn't move and the exhaust has good clearance from any of the heat shields. I notice when I'm deaccelerating down a hill and it starts popping from the compression braking there is a metallic sound audible from the rear as well. Tomorrow I'm going to temporarily remove the rear most heat shields so I can completely rule those out. This sound is ruining my driving experience. I'm embarrassed to accelerate...

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
My exhaust rattle when I had it was coming from the cat heat shield, one of the mounting points was broken and it did what you are describing. I removed it, problem solved. Just get under ur car and shake the hell out of everything and you should be able to track it down. There is a possibility you could have some crap in your muffler rattling around but I doubt thats what it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No cat anymore so I can rule that out. I originally thought it was the muffler so I cut it out and welded in a brand new one from magnaflow so I can also rule that out. I guess the question I have is aside from heat shields and leaks is there anything that could cause the sound I'm trying to describe? Thanks for the replies too guys. I'm glad this is still such an active forum!

·
Registered
81 Posts
When you accelerate your exhaust moves upward at the cat. New mounts or not, it can be hitting. It moves quite a bit actually. Have you tried pushing up on it from that location? Cold of course...lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So heat shields didn't appear to be the culprit. I had someone drive with me hanging out of the hatch and I can clearly hear the sound thru the exhaust. I really hope the sound I hear isn't the raspy sound people say you get with an ORP. If it is I don't see why anyone would ever get the pipe because it sounds god awful. Any other ideas?

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Bro, pretty sure thats just ur ORP... The extra power comes at a price, lol. Sounds like mine... You can get a larger/longer resonator and it will get rid of the buzzing sound. Let me guess, this happens the worst between 2-3.5k RPM?...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only between those Rpm's. If that's the case I'm ordering a high flow cat tonight. I don't remember it doing that right when I got it though is the thing.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Dude, its wayyyyy cheaper to just get a longer/larger resonator put in. You wont loose any power and it gets rid of the raspy buzzing... Just FYI... There is a chance you will still have a small amount of buzzing with a HFC...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts