Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to pinpoint and stop an exhaust leak on my 01 ZX3. I’ve replaced the manifold gasket, the gasket between manifold and cat, the gasket between the cat and the flex pipe, and just replaced the one between the flex pipe and muffler. I’m still getting a pretty strong exhaust odor when I’m idling and I have the fan on. Doesn’t matter whether the climate control is set to warm or cool. I don’t notice it when the car is moving. Anyone else have and ideas? I’ve researched this forum and I think I’ve covered the usual suspects. Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the same thing after doing a new exhaust system. Mine is from the flex pipe to muffler pipe unit--I can see the exhaust puffing out.

What happens is the exhaust gasses float upwards along the firewall and get sucked in the vents. Most noticeable during idling because there is no airflow like when moving to blow the exhaust gasses down range under the car.

Use muffler cement on both sides of the gaskets. If you can't identify where the leak is, do all the gaskets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the EGR gasket, and it helped a little bit. It’s not nearly as noticeable. I will plop some JB Weld exhaust goop around the other gasket areas and see what that does. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same thing after doing a new exhaust system. Mine is from the flex pipe to muffler pipe unit--I can see the exhaust puffing out.

What happens is the exhaust gasses float upwards along the firewall and get sucked in the vents. Most noticeable during idling because there is no airflow like when moving to blow the exhaust gasses down range under the car.

Use muffler cement on both sides of the gaskets. If you can't identify where the leak is, do all the gaskets.
my 04 focus Zetec had a leak at the cat to flex that wouldn’t seal with 2 new gaskets. Finally used permatex 81878 ultra copper I think it was on both sides and leak was gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts