Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
See, I totally disagree that MFT is a joke. It's working perfectly fine for me. In fact, the only remaining glitch I was having was getting the hand's free phone dialing to work, which coincidently I just remedied no more than 10 minutes ago. As far as I can tell right now, the MFT is working flawlessly. Not to say it won't have issues soon or in the future, but that is common with ANY electronic gadgets...they ALL have issues. Every smartphone, every laptop, every iPod...they all experience some sort of problem along the way, they all require rebooting occasionally. MFT is no different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know a lot of you are going to disagree with this article but have fun reading it. It's not specifically for the Focus but...
Actually, now that I've got it working more or less I'm liking it quite a bit. However, I am by no means expecting it to be trouble free from here on out.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That article is just a joke.

MFT for all lines should be on par with 2.11.
Knowing all the problems we all have, the lincolns/edges must have been horrendous to receive that much praise...

But even then mft in current state deserves a C rating at best.
That's your opinion. A biased one based on the issues you've had with the system. The OPINION expressed in the review is just that, another opinion. However it takes into consideration the issues that the earlier iteration of the system had, and it still talks of reboots. It does also mention that the responsiveness, the overall usability, and the system as a whole is not as flawed as it was, and is much better. He's not saying it's perfect, just better. A LOT better. Just because you, ONE PERSON, don't have that same result, doesn't mean it's not better.

See, I totally disagree that MFT is a joke. It's working perfectly fine for me. In fact, the only remaining glitch I was having was getting the hand's free phone dialing to work, which coincidently I just remedied no more than 10 minutes ago. As far as I can tell right now, the MFT is working flawlessly. Not to say it won't have issues soon or in the future, but that is common with ANY electronic gadgets...they ALL have issues. Every smartphone, every laptop, every iPod...they all experience some sort of problem along the way, they all require rebooting occasionally. MFT is no different.
Mine has been working great as well, glad to hear it! You won't see a lot of people mentioning how well their system works because there's no need to waste space talking about it!

Actually, now that I've got it working more or less I'm liking it quite a bit. However, I am by no means expecting it to be trouble free from here on out.
That's to be expected with any tech-related gadget. Hence why updates are ever present on everything. Computers, iPods, phones, tablets, etc. are constantly being updated when fixes are found for glitches, bugs, etc. and sometimes those updates cause other issues that are then updated... it's a never ending cycle and nothing will ever be perfect in the tech world, there are just too many variables on the user-end for the coding team to test for during production.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ofcourse that is my opinion... what else would it be?

Regardless how you interpret the article I still think it is still a joke.
They either praised the MFT in its current state as deserving A-.
Or they praised the HUGE improvement from previous versions that it deserves a A- from a C-; and not of the system itself but the improvement.

Regardless baseline is 2.11 which was released across all vehicle MFT lines.
If that is any indication from personal experience, MFT has far to go... and is deserving of MY C rating.

I am also sure that I am not alone in this, and I am not just ONE person with continued MFT problems.

Hell even Ford Corp themselves state they have a repair hold order on MFT because their engineers can't figure out the problem.
Guess what their estimated timeline to get MFT fixed is... January 2012.

And yes while I agree updates are a part of today's technological society. MFT just happens to be the first product that I have owned that becomes crippled in its consumer state; I have not owned another product that was not useable at times.

That's your opinion. A biased one based on the issues you've had with the system. The OPINION expressed in the review is just that, another opinion. However it takes into consideration the issues that the earlier iteration of the system had, and it still talks of reboots. It does also mention that the responsiveness, the overall usability, and the system as a whole is not as flawed as it was, and is much better. He's not saying it's perfect, just better. A LOT better. Just because you, ONE PERSON, don't have that same result, doesn't mean it's not better.

Mine has been working great as well, glad to hear it! You won't see a lot of people mentioning how well their system works because there's no need to waste space talking about it!

That's to be expected with any tech-related gadget. Hence why updates are ever present on everything. Computers, iPods, phones, tablets, etc. are constantly being updated when fixes are found for glitches, bugs, etc. and sometimes those updates cause other issues that are then updated... it's a never ending cycle and nothing will ever be perfect in the tech world, there are just too many variables on the user-end for the coding team to test for during production.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Or they praised the HUGE improvement from previous versions that it deserves a A- from a C-; and not of the system itself but the improvement.

If that is any indication from personal experience, MFT has far to go... and is deserving of MY C rating.

I am also sure that I am not alone in this, and I am not just ONE person with continued MFT problems.

Hell even Ford Corp themselves state they have a repair hold order on MFT because their engineers can't figure out the problem.

And yes while I agree updates are a part of today's technological society. MFT just happens to be the first product that I have owned that becomes crippled in its consumer state; I have not owned another product that was not useable at times.
I agree with the fact that it shouldn't have the issues it has. BUT you also have to think... if so many people DON'T have these issues, then how is it the 2.11 baseline update that's the problem? A system update can't fix faulty hardware, and a lot of the nav, indexing, freezing/rebooting issues can most likely be attributed to hardware, slowing down, random restarts, etc. are all very very very COMMON side effects of faulty hardware.

For example, Windows wasn't the reason my last laptop gave me the BSOD every so often, it was a corrupted hard drive. With your car and many others that's most likely the problem as well. So the system works fine, the hardware needs to undergo some more QC.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree with the fact that it shouldn't have the issues it has. BUT you also have to think... if so many people DON'T have these issues, then how is it the 2.11 baseline update that's the problem? A system update can't fix faulty hardware, and a lot of the nav, indexing, freezing/rebooting issues can most likely be attributed to hardware, slowing down, random restarts, etc. are all very very very COMMON side effects of faulty hardware.

For example, Windows wasn't the reason my last laptop gave me the BSOD every so often, it was a corrupted hard drive. With your car and many others that's most likely the problem as well. So the system works fine, the hardware needs to undergo some more QC.
Maybe because Ford touted it as the solution to MFT owners problems. While it did fix problems for some, it also still left others out in the dark.

Now Ford Corp has a repair hold on hardware replacements of the MFT, until their engineers can figure out the problem. And from what my conversation ended up as, the solution was.... another update to solve all our problems in Jan 2012.

Maybe the blame should just shift all together to Ford Corp policy and lack of customer service. Instead of acknowledging that an actual problem exist and hardware analysis needs to be carefully done, lets give customers run around until they give up, maybe the problem will go away.

I'm sure you have seen new threads appearing on the MFT problems... and yes I did not start them, guess who they were from... new Focus 2012 owners, after 2.11 factory installed date.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My question is much more basic, why MFT at all? I'm interested in a car, not a mobile entertainment venue. I have been waiting patiently for the new ST, but if I can't get one without MFT, I will look elsewhere! Sorry, Ford.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My question is much more basic, why MFT at all? I'm interested in a car, not a mobile entertainment venue. I have been waiting patiently for the new ST, but if I can't get one without MFT, I will look elsewhere! Sorry, Ford.
Only reason I got the MFT is because I think the standard dash is an utter mess and fugly as hell...

I wished I had stuck with the fugly dash that works.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I skipped MFT and sync all together, the aux jack is all I really need or want in that regard and I sure as hell didn't have any interest in satellite radio.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i wonder when they're coming out with 2.12...and i wonder if they are ditching Flash Lite while re-working MFT with Microsoft..... [8)]

·
Registered
395 Posts
i wonder when they're coming out with 2.12...and i wonder if they are ditching Flash Lite while re-working MFT with Microsoft..... [8)]
Per my conversations with escalations at Ford Corp.
The next update that addresses "remaining issues" is slated for Jan 2012.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Per my conversations with escalations at Ford Corp.
The next update that addresses "remaining issues" is slated for Jan 2012.
that's quite a while away....so hopefully 2.11 was just a quick fix to get rid of the most annoying issues...and the next update is 3.0 revamp. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow, great article, thanks for posting!! Glad to read such a positive article on all the improvements.

I never understood why some reviewers thought it was difficult to use!

·
Registered
104 Posts
that's quite a while away....so hopefully 2.11 was just a quick fix to get rid of the most annoying issues...and the next update is 3.0 revamp. :D
God, I can only hope so.

My 2012 Explorer is at the dealership right now. Should be getting reflashed tomorrow. Its already on v2.11 and i'm still experiencing black screens and total freeze ups. They told my wife that if the reflash doesn't work they will order a new APIM or whatever the brains of the MFT is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I do not have 2.11 installed and still have 2.10 with MFT. I look forward to future versions, so that MFT will perform at its full potential. I looked at all the complaints on here and it is legitimate and could be problem, not just at a conveinence point of view, but also for safety, as well.

My system is working fine and does about 85-90% of what it is supposed to do, but I have a few issues. I can no longer get text messages (I got it before). The system has a lag, not only with switching screens, but also with the phone. As an example, there is a lag between pressing the "hang up" button to when the phone would actually hang up. Of course, the radio always goes on when I start the car (never mind I shut it off previously). The calender shows tomorrow after a certain time. A poster responded with a fix, but I do not have the navigation system. The bigest problem is that Ford is preventing us from doing self installs. I do not have the time, nor the desire to go to the dealer.

I give this system a C so far!

PS, the system reset sucks because everytime I use it, it introduces new problems. I will not use that anymore.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Yes, yes, anyone here who reads any posts in this forum knows what you think of MFT. Fortunately, it seems the majority of folks don't have the issues you have. While I sympathize with your problems, I and many others just don't have them. From my perspective MFT is frickin AWESOME. The only recent problem I have had is when trying to over tax the system with numerous voice commands with me pulling the sync paddle over and over while at the same time was calculating a route, and it hung for 20 seconds or so. I would like to see that issue corrected in the future. Otherwise, MFT sells this car, and I wouldn't have bought such an otherwise low rent vehicle without it. I didn't have have too many problems with 2.10, but 2.11 is noticeably faster and corrects a few minor annoyances. All in all, best infotainment unit in any car at any cost, period.

Now that we have the 5-door Focus, I'm trying to convince the wife to let me trade the 535i for a used 911 Turbo. Now that car won't be required to have Nav or fancy infotainment......or seats for the kids! [angel]

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been on 2.11 for awhile now. I think it's definitely an improvement over the older version in terms of speed and accuracy. I never did have crashes before though... it was slow and may not have done what I wanted all the time, but I never had the freezes.

That all said, 2.11 is not perfect and I have had problems with it. But I've learned to cope with the short-comings so they really aren't an impact for me anymore. I would like to see it continually improved, of course.

I find that the system is sluggish when the car is first started. Voice commands usually aren't available at all for the first few minutes. Some times even button commands (physical buttons, not the touch screen ones) will not occur immediately. That is, changing stations. Volume usually always works immediately, though on rare occasions, it doesn't. All of these things go away completely after about two minutes of driving. After then, everything is snappy. Voice commands are dead on and very responsive. Touch screen presses always work, though they can be a handful of seconds slow initially.

Bluetooth to my iphone4 works in a predictable way too. I can connect to it and it works fine. But, if I shut the car off with the radio in BT, it will fail the next time I get in. The car will show my phone in the BT radio slot, but pressing it will fail after about 10 seconds and the name will go away and show the generic bluetooth. Press it again and it will "connecting to <phone name>". Press it again and we're back to working normally. I find I can avoid this whole thing by switching back to radio before I shut the car off. If I do that it will immediately connect to the phone when I ask it to the next drive.

So... totally not perfect, but I can accommodate the issues. I hope they get fixed. I do think I can cope with it because I do software support and qa for a living. Bugs are fact of life. I can totally see others not being so understanding. But I went into this aware of everyone's complaints and saw the upside of the additional features and the potential for a great product outweighing the inconvenience of a product released a bit early.

A couple gripes I do have - the Quick List for the phone negates is quick-iness by telling me about how quick and useful it is every time I press on it. Really. I got it from the button label. That and the 2.11 release seems to warn me about stuff (verbally) a lot more than the older one. I wish the warnings and information things could be shut off on a prefs screen like the voice command advanced mode. And lastly, why can't I voice my way into a saved favorite in Nav like you can do for Home? This probably can be done already, I just don't know what to say. Someone had compiled a full command list but I can't seem to find it.

:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have 2.7 on our Explorer and have had no real problems to speak of.

I'm trying to get the wife to schedule an appointment to get the update to 2.11.

The only real isue we've had is the Building Media Commands seems to take a while. I finally got the Album art working thanks to the poster on here who layed out the Music Brainz Picard process on this very board.

I'd have to say I am very happy with the MFT experience so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts