Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a mild sleeper and i want some confirmation with the vets on my plan. I have a 02 zxw (zetec) 5spd with 200k, i really want to try and get to + or - 300hp with it. But handling will be addressed too. I'm thinking:

65mm throttle body
Msd hi-po distributior
Revamped fuel system
Performance head (SVT?)(porting, polishing?)
Maybe boost, idk yet
Full exhaust.
Performance cam
Tom Tune

That's all i can think of. This is just a stupid idea in my head but do people swap.out for the SVT tranny? Any info appreciated. i do.understand this is a tall order for a 200k engine but without boost it should be able to take it.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
MSD igntion system is not needed. The stock system is good enough to handle more than you can afford to throw at it. If you are looking to get to around 250-300 HP, your best bet would to be to build up your motor, then go with a turbo system from either Focus-Power or FSWerks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Built plus boost for those numbers.

Keep it to 250 boosted for a stock engine - even a perfect one.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I bet you could get close to ~250 na at the crank with everything done to these engines. And I mean EVERYTHING.

Cost wise, fi and be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your guyses (great grammar, i know) thesis is just boost my original engine? Or buy a used engine and do it? If i were to get a "new" engine wouldn't i just go for the gusto and get the 2.3 Duratec to boost? Thanks guys, this really helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Id say new engine, stick with zetec so you won't have to do a whole swap.

After you get the turbo down, get boost controllers and build from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But a junkyard Zetec won't cut it? Even if I rebuild it? Sorry guys, but i'm a kid with the only thing holding me back is money, I have the knowledge. I've already rebuilt a 1960 Ranchero with a 200ci six.[thumbd]

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
SVT header should be the first thing on your list , there is no other 1 things that will add what it does
2.5 or 3 inch EXH
Tune
TB
cams / adj cam gears
intake

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
It probably would, youll just be spending more money. If you read his build thread the only thing he hasn't touched is the bottom end.

DaspazZx3 has an interesting build going on too. Hes touching the bottom end amoung many other things. May wanna look at that and talk him into going on the dyno. H3 typ3s l1ke th1s all th3 t1mezzz.

Take notes from iminhell, he knows his stuff. He can have a mouth sometimes, but in the end, hes usually right.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't buy parts before you have decided what direction you are going to go with the build. Choose N/A or F/I and go from there. If you do not have money to build the engine you are not going to hit your hp goals. I would advise against boost if you are on a really tight budget as well.

Tom's list is as budget as you are going to get to have some fun with these engines. It's still going to cost you a couple grand when all is said and done. unless you take your time and really shop around for used parts or sales.

Fast and Cheap isn't Reliable!
Reliable and Fast isn't Cheap!
Cheap and Reliable isn't Fast!

You gotta pay to play! ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
good advice from The Ghost, planning saves $ and adds to the fun, changing course costs double.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really think i will be boosting at some point. Turbo is really expensive, maybe S/C or some laughing gas. But i read that these are all iron blocks and stuff. Where can i get top end stuff like a head, valves, springs etc. FSWerks doesn't have anything like that. Or is it all custom ordered? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts