Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed my DSI clip and had my intake out so I decided to go ahead and change my transmission fluid. I undid the drain plug and about a 1/16 of an inch worth of fluid came pouring out into my 1 foot wide drain pan. Well, I thought I did something wrong so I undid the small brass plug on the top (clutch bleed) and that just screwed me over even more so in my state of disbelief. There I am wondering if maybe I was just doing something wrong so I let some fluid in and it comes out the drain plug. I say out loud you have got to be kidding. I have been running with no transmission fluid for who knows how long!!!! I put two quarts in and check it and sure enough it is leaking at both seals consistently.

So what do I do? Drop 3 grand on a new transmission or put the 6 grand I have saved up towards another car? My car wouldn't be covered under the 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty would it? My SVT only has 28k miles on it.

I backed it up in my driveway and pulled it forward and it is amazing how much different it feels.

I just got out of college and still trying to get going in my career. I was saving the money for a house downpayment and/or a ring for my girlfriend (don't let her know that thought ;)
so I am kind of at a loss...

Oh what a day...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats a real bummer man, sorry to hear that.
I would go have it checked out you may not need a whole new tranny.

·
Registered
356 Posts
was your car parked on an angle? I saw that same thing but my car was parked on an angle, when I got it flat much more fluid came out.

edit: didnt see the leaking seals thing

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Can somebody tell me were to check i think that maybe my tranny might be a little low as well

·
Registered
398 Posts
Warranty is 3 years 36k miles. So that snwers that question...

As for a new tranny? It's still working, right? lol

I say keep going and keep an eye on it

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is I didn't change it because I thought there was a problem! ha-hmm...[B)] Oh and I thought at some point Ford did a 5 year warranty on their drivetrain.

Here is an update.

My car is running perfect (DSI fix helps tremendously). The shifts are much smoother but 3rd is sticking and it never did that before I put fluid in, lol. Could there be a place where excess could run out because I put in 2.5 quarts since it was bone dry. I don't see how it could have leaked out and me not noticed ever unless it did while I was going down the road.

Anybody got any ideas what I should do as far as having somebody check it out? Should I even bother going to Ford?

·
Registered
522 Posts
SILLY QUESTION ALERT===

Could someone post a photo of the drian plug (w/ surrounding landmarks)

Fill plug was easily located..

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i think that they started doing the 5 year 100k mile powertrain late '02-03. if i were you i'd call and ask if you have it or not.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
so raise your hand if you have lost 5th and 6 th gears!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This may not be as catastrophic as you think. Terrible for the transaxle, surely it was, however in your case I'd hope that it's lowered the life expectancy of the tranny, say, to 100k miles, down from 150k or so, giving you plenty of time. My old Neon, which I love to bring up whenever I can, started acting strangly 2 summers ago. Harsh engagments, hard shifting, it actually started popping out of gear in an incline. I drove it like that for a few months, probably 5000 miles or so, before it dawned on me to check the tranny fluid. Shockingly (or not) it was 2.2qts low on a 2.2qt resovoire. Bone dry for the summer. Still leaks to this day, maybe 1qt/year, it takes cheap ATX fluid and I Just top it from time to time. That tranny still goes good, aside from a failing reverse synchro, at 150k miles (last I checked).

Limeyrider, the drain plug is on the reverse side as the fill plug, I had my car up on ramps to drain and fill and it was hard to actually see. Its down right at the bottom of the case and facing the back end of the car. Hopefully somebody can sourse a pic for you.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
if your life of your transmission is only 150k you need to think about how you drive it

i once had a geo storm (yeah i said geo storm, so what wanna fight about it :p ) it had (no joking) 370,000 miles on it before the clutch went, the STOCK clutch!...

my zx3 has 140,000 on it now i beat the living hell out of my car and i still haven't had to replace one stock part at all (with exception to the alternator which died because of my 1100 watt amp)

·
Registered
550 Posts
id just pull the seals out of the thing an put new ones in, i also saw a trans out of an svt for sale on ebay that had a broken bell house on it from guy pullin it out of a wrecked car. it was goin for like 700 bucks something u might be interested in just swappin your bell houseing on if u dont wanna go through the seal replacement ordeal.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
limeyrider said:
SILLY QUESTION ALERT===
Could someone post a photo of the drian plug (w/ surrounding landmarks)
Fill plug was easily located..
Thanks.
Here ya go. (both take a 8mm allen wrench)
Took a pic last night while I was replacing my windshield washer pump

Dang...my car isn't so clean anymore underneath it. [:(]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
sweet ass, thanks and check out the 03's and pm with what you think

1 - 16 of 16 Posts