Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought and had my winter tire package installed today at Discount tire. After seeing what happened in Colorado and on the East Coast, I figured there was no time like the present to get the snow boots on the car. I had a very bad feeling the ContiSportContacts would be awful in the snow and since I'm driving even more now with having a job, it seemed like I should get crackin before I have to make the commute from hell.

I opted for performance winter tires since 90% of my driving will be on dry roads and probably 70% will be on the highway. I like the Hankook iPikes I had on the MINI but they were way to squishy and made the car feel rather odd. Since the Focus was much bigger and heavier, I didn't want to be stuck with that. After looking around the internet and reading reviews I settled on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's with their V speed rating and pretty cool looking tread design.

Since a majority of performance winter tires only come in sizes that start at 17" rims, I had to opt for something other than steelies, which is fine since I kind of wanted something a bit nicer. My choices were pretty slim due to the odd bolt pattern, but I got the Momo Winter 2's and I think they look great. They look OEM enough but still different enough to set off the car. I almost like them better then my stock rims.

So far the only problem I've ran into is that the Focus has the stupidest TPMS learning system in any car. Discount spent 45 minutes trying to get the car to accept the new sensors but it wouldn't do it. I'm going back Monday and they are going to flash them with the ID from the ones in my OEM wheels and tires. Resetting the MINI's was so easy, you held a button for a minute and you were good to go.

Other than that the tires ride very nice and at speeds lower than 50mph they are quieter than the Conti's, which surprised me. Handling is similar and there isn't any noticeable squishy feeling in the side walls. Around 70mph the tires start getting really loud, especially on concrete and at 79mph there is an awful harmonic, but I can live with it I suppose.

I'll give more of a review once I put some miles on them.

Oh and the total cost out the door was like $1,480 or there about's.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are winter tires, you are going to loose MPG's anyways. Plus I have to imagine the difference won't be all that great, the winter tires and rims are narrower and lighter than the OEM ones. It'll probably all equal out in the end, but I do keep a record of my mileage so I'm sure I'll see what the difference is pretty soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Those are the same tires I've chosen, though I'm getting the 215s. I'm planning to get mine installed this week, as we're expecting lows near freezing by the end of the week.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I bought and had my winter tire package installed today at Discount tire. After seeing what happened in Colorado and on the East Coast, I figured there was no time like the present to get the snow boots on the car. I had a very bad feeling the ContiSportContacts would be awful in the snow and since I'm driving even more now with having a job, it seemed like I should get crackin before I have to make the commute from hell.

I opted for performance winter tires since 90% of my driving will be on dry roads and probably 70% will be on the highway. I like the Hankook iPikes I had on the MINI but they were way to squishy and made the car feel rather odd. Since the Focus was much bigger and heavier, I didn't want to be stuck with that. After looking around the internet and reading reviews I settled on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's with their V speed rating and pretty cool looking tread design.

Since a majority of performance winter tires only come in sizes that start at 17" rims, I had to opt for something other than steelies, which is fine since I kind of wanted something a bit nicer. My choices were pretty slim due to the odd bolt pattern, but I got the Momo Winter 2's and I think they look great. They look OEM enough but still different enough to set off the car. I almost like them better then my stock rims.

So far the only problem I've ran into is that the Focus has the stupidest TPMS learning system in any car. Discount spent 45 minutes trying to get the car to accept the new sensors but it wouldn't do it. I'm going back Monday and they are going to flash them with the ID from the ones in my OEM wheels and tires. Resetting the MINI's was so easy, you held a button for a minute and you were good to go.

Other than that the tires ride very nice and at speeds lower than 50mph they are quieter than the Conti's, which surprised me. Handling is similar and there isn't any noticeable squishy feeling in the side walls. Around 70mph the tires start getting really loud, especially on concrete and at 79mph there is an awful harmonic, but I can live with it I suppose.

I'll give more of a review once I put some miles on them.

Oh and the total cost out the door was like $1,480 or there about's.

To reset the tpms sensors on the 2012 it is a ranter complicated process to getting into the learn mode. I had to do it 3 times to finally get it into the mode but once I did all the wheels learned immediately.

The sequence to put the car into learn mode apparently is new for the 2012 model and is as follows:

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2. Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

5. Press and release the brake pedal.

6. Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10. Place the top of FORDTRIGGER on the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process.

Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF.

If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

As you can see it really seems stupid what you have to do, but it does work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My tire guy tells me that in Canada it is not required by law to have tpms sensors on your vehicle after you have purchased it. Yes they are a nice safety feature especially for those that do not check their tires regularly but I will not be buying them for my winter steelies and I can avoid that crazy lengthy setup that was just posted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To reset the tpms sensors on the 2012 it is a ranter complicated process to getting into the learn mode. I had to do it 3 times to finally get it into the mode but once I did all the wheels learned immediately.

The sequence to put the car into learn mode apparently is new for the 2012 model and is as follows:

{Ridiculous sequence deleted for brevity...}

As you can see it really seems stupid what you have to do, but it does work.
I feel like some important details were omitted. Do I bite my tongue with the molars on the left side of my mouth or the right? Which pocket do my keys and all of my coins need to be in? And can I sacrifice any old chicken or does it need to be a rooster?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My tire guy tells me that in Canada it is not required by law to have tpms sensors on your vehicle after you have purchased it. Yes they are a nice safety feature especially for those that do not check their tires regularly but I will not be buying them for my winter steelies and I can avoid that crazy lengthy setup that was just posted.
I have to agree with you, however for the 2012 model its not just a light that you have to ignore.

When you start the car the center main display flashes the warning and you get a trouble light between the gas gauge and temp. gauge followed by a flashing warning in the speedo cluster which flashes then remains on after about a minute. This repeats itself each and every time you turn the car on. You end up with 2 constant reminders after that which do not reset or go out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the instructions on how to put the car in learn mode, I'm going to let Discount Tire deal with it tomorrow.

And as of right now I am seeing an improvement in fuel economy per the on board computer. Nothing scientific though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the instructions on how to put the car in learn mode, I'm going to let Discount Tire deal with it tomorrow.

And as of right now I am seeing an improvement in fuel economy per the on board computer. Nothing scientific though.
Sorry I am 5 months late to the party. Your tire circumference is about 1.5% less than stock. So your trip computer is thinking your car went 1.5% more than it actually did. Insignificant, I know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts