Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... This is kind of a pointless question, but I'd like to know...

At what engine RPM do the Zetec engines redline? I have a 2001 ZX3. The tach reads 7 grand, but there are no red marks on the gauge! I'd hate to over rev the little car... but it revs so fast and smoothly I'm afraid I might...

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
it think its about 7000 something!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
It's like 6800 or 6850.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to rev to 7K because the ECU has a rev limiter to prevent you from going over red line.
If you get a chip, then you can exceed the rev limiter.

·
Registered
845 Posts
No "red line". Like was said, we have electronic rev limiter instead. Just don't shift past 6000rpm and you'll be cool, but it shouldn't hurt if you hit the limiter on accident every once in a while (just don't make it a habit [^] ). You lose power after around 5800, so it would be pointless to shift past that anyhow. You can get a chip to raise your limiter, but it would be useless without more agressive cams to give you power at an rpm that high (unless you're using it to change shift points in an autotragic).

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Why the redline may be higher, ford specifications says that max HP is created at 5300 RPM and max torque is created at 4500 RPM. HP and torque drops after each of these figures. Draw your own conclusion where you should shift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the prompt response everyone! I think I know what I need to now...

Also, that is a sweet avitar microtonal! TooL is CooL!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
With peak HP at 5300 rpm, there is little point in revving it much higher anyway. Better to shift at about 5500 and get it back into the torque band.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts