Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this time its the same deal, been into the dealer twice, get my focus back after 3-4 days and they say they cant find any problems and I shell out $200 for nothing....well now its about 1 degree F outside and I go to drive and it wont go into second gear and the when it finally does go in it grinds clanks, etc. Basically my second gear is jacked and grinds and clanks with the clutch in. I have to shift from first to third, and Ford tells me theres nothing wrong. (Ive fought with the service manager twice) What do I do now, is this a full blown replacement of the tranny, or can the syncros be adjusted or something? Anyone know if Im screwed?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Call or write/email FoMoCo HQ in Dearborn. They will square you away. My parents had a problem with a Mustang went thru a clutch in 4 months! Dealer gave them crap that it was my parents fualt. Well, they finally replaced it - 3 months later same thing. The dealer would not replace the clutch. My dad then wrote to FoMoCo Hq and they told the dealer to check out the car. Come to find out it needed a rear end too, the driveshaft was off balance!! So if your dealer starts to give you problems go over their heads, just be sure to have documentation.

·
Registered
793 Posts
well i have had a few noises from the tranny while shifting to second gear, but eventually it goes in.... keep in touch with FMC and they should help u out.. if u keep in touch they will eventually fix the prob

·
Registered
875 Posts
You may in fact have a synchro out of alignment. Get that checked out.

A friend of mine had a mis-aligned synchro when he got his [then] brand-new car. When he tried to shift into second, he ended up blowing the clutch to pieces.. fractured it right down the center separating the friction surface from the metal backing!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
That happened with my old car, which was a 92 nissan stanza, only not to my second gear, but to my first gear. I had to take off in second for a few days, and in the end, I had to spend 1200 to get a new tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts