Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have this issue with my temp gauge, when i'm sitting in traffic it doesn't start to raise to the red level aka get hot but when i start to move it likes to slowly and barely move up a little to the red level and then fall back down to normal. In the winter i would let my car warm up and it would jump to the hot side i would pull out of my drive way and start to move and it would go down. It just seems like there is alot of fluctuation in my temp gauge now it likes to move around ALOT very little movements but it does move and catches my eye enough to bug me any thoughts on this?? Could i just have a bad T-stat, faulty gauge??? (In the winter obviously my heat was on also so i figured maybe its just the T-stat i bought a new one but i really don't have the time to fix it, i just want to make sure i have everything i need to solve my problem before i start fixing this and that. I want to fix this in one day you know what i mean.)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Does it ever get into the red? Or does the fan kick on and save it... I ALWAYS suspect the T-stat first BTW.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it never does get to the red, should my fans kick on immediatly after turning on the heat or a/c whichever one is supposed to signal fans i need to check that i honestly dont think they are...

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Focus's have 2 fans ( Radiator Cooling / Accessory (AC) cooling)

the smaller fan Will ( Should on some instances depending on if theres a problem) kick in immediately after the AC is turned on...

Heater option shouldn't trigger neither the fans..

The larger fan is controlled by the computer, the computer has a secondary Thermal Temp probe on the engine that is reads its temp and triggers the fan on that way

some occasions the fan will fail to turn on by the secondary for a few reasons
-wire to the temperature Probe is damaged/broken/corroded <- that actually happened on my wagon the wire was corroded within the sheathing and when I was messing around the area it separated exposing the eaten green corroded wire
-probe is faulty
-Wiring problem with the fan harness

The Temp Gauge is actually wired to its own Probe which are known to go bad and send false signals to the dash gauge

(Funny my Focus gauge jumps high aswell and my Aerostar barely moves yet both run at the optimal temperature from what my Fluke auto Multi-meter tells me with its temp probe)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts