Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SVTF has a squeal at 1k-2k RPMs…

I have stood over the hood and it sounds exactly like a pcv valve that is constantly being shaken for around a second and occurs around 1k to 2k rpms (both up and down revs). So far I have taken the heat shield off the catalytic converter to make sure that wasn’t the noise. It helped and made this noise more pronounced (not two rattles) but I still can’t isolate where it is coming from…

How can I check the belt tensioner? That is what I came up with when I did a search.

Anyone have any suggestions?

C

·
0 Posts
By the way, you got my vote for ROTM. Sharp SVT. Anyway on my Zetec Focus, I would get a chirping on start up and up to 1500, so I took it to my dealer. The tensioner was shot and I still need to change the idler. I guess the bearings are weak. They also installed a new belt.
Hope this helps as I think we share common engine hardware.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I found the culprit. This thing made my car sound like crap and caused all kinds of unnecessary attention from strangers.

How long can I drive around while I wait for it to arrive? Just a side note I have a Borla exhaust which weighs a little more than the factory exhaust.

I figure I just won't drive it hard until I get teh piece put back on. It is so quiet now ah just like new...minus the part of course..lol

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh ya thanks for the vote.

I try to keep her clean. In fact I am looking at getting another Focus to just drive around everyday.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
So, I see you do think you are on a higher plane. Well, as long as you can admit it.

Anyway, I had a squealing-type sound in this approximate rev range as well, my dealer thought it was the belt tensioner and replaced it. The sound never went away, so I went back and complained, INSISTED, really, that they please check it a little more thoroughly and lo and behold it was the catalytic converter itself. Not the heat shield (although that was also replaced twice), but the actual catalytic converter. Their theory was the innards were disintegrating and the exhaust flowing through these falling apart guts was making the noise. In summary, that whole area around the catalytic conv. seems to be one of the most crappily-made parts of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts