Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rencently the weather is a bit colder here. Since yesterday my car turns off when I'm at a red light or at a stop (in neutral) Not everytime but it happened atleast twice. Help me find out what's the problem.

I get a check engine light and a battery light (but i think it's because the car is turned off)

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Start by checking the Battery and Alternator ... then check the Neg Cable between them.

Good luck finding the culprit

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Normal? [scratch]
No car should "normally" shut off when stopped.
Mine certainly never has.

tukaniSVT suggested checking the cables, which is the first place I'd start as well.
Also, check any ground wires that you can find to make sure they are making good contact.

You may find your battery is about ready to expire, or the alternator is getting weak.
It would be a good idea to get both checked out, after verifying that your wiring and battery cables are in good condition.
Most auto parts stores will check both for free.

How do the lights look at night?
Do they flicker at all when running the heater and wipers?
That's a good sign of a charging system that's getting weak.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
^^x2 Make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals if they are really nasty that could be a problem to but I would still have the whole system checked out to make sure you don't get stuck.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
it could be ALOT of things..I had a bad TPS and it was doing that exact thing to me...could also be a vaccum leak somewhere around the throttle body after the MAF..

but like said above I would start by cleaning both battery terminals and posts and go from there....I would def change the TPS too...its a 30 dollar part that can make or break the car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it could be ALOT of things..I had a bad TPS and it was doing that exact thing to me...could also be a vaccum leak somewhere around the throttle body after the MAF..

but like said above I would start by cleaning both battery terminals and posts and go from there....I would def change the TPS too...its a 30 dollar part that can make or break the car.
what TPS and MAF means?... Dont laugh I speak french...

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
tps is throttle posiotion sensor....its located on the throttle body facing the radiator....and maf is mass air flow sensor..both are located on the intake system of the car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tps is throttle posiotion sensor....its located on the throttle body facing the radiator....and maf is mass air flow sensor..both are located on the intake system of the car.
thanks. Anyway it was working fine when i was getting back from work... maybe it's because it was colder...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup, had this happen to me last year after owning my SVTF for oh, about two months. Over the course of 6 weeks, it did the shut down while at a red light thing 2 or three times. Then, just to spice things up, it decided to shut down while driving along on the freeway! Fortunately, it started back up with a clutch in start at 65 MPH. After that last incident, I decided to take it in to get it looked at. I wasted my money and time at a shop. Then, I wasted more time and money at the dealership, but they actually figured it out after quite some time. It took them inspecting all the wires and connections throughout the car. They told me it was some wiring near to the front wheel well (driver or passenger side...I don't remember). That cost several hundred dollars mostly to diagnose and a few bucks to actually fix it. Ha, ha now that the cold weather is back, my car is starting pretty hard. No shutdowns to speak of yet. I talked to a guy at autozone and he thought it might be some temperature sensor. They didn't stock such an item, so he recommended some local shop to get it looked at. I might be doing that soon. It hasn't done a really hard start, yet. If and when that happens, I'll be heading to that shop and post here if I find out anything.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My reg. ZX3 was doing the same thing. I ended up cleaning the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) and that fixed everything. Pick up some RCR electronics cleaner from autozone, advance, etc. You'll also need a T-20 Security Torx Bit.

Just remove the MAF, Spray it down til it's saturated with the RCR, let it dry and re-install. My car hasn't stalled at an idle since.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
time for a bbig 3 upgrade.

my car has not stalled since I did that.

the big 3 is

Engine to Chassis Ground
Battery to Chassis Ground
Battery to Alternator Power.

Upgrade those 3 wires and it should help the stalling condition.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
my focus is a 05 model.,..for the last 3 years it will cut off one me when im comming to a stop sign and have switched the car into neutral. has done this about 2 times a week for the last 3 years,,lol,,i just start the car back up and keep going,,, or dump the clutch if im still moving and the car starts back up,,i dont know what the deal with it is,, ive replaced the maf and tube, new gaskets on the intake manifold, pcv valve,,gasket for iac and cleaned the iac also. new air filter...still does the same thing,,new fuel filter and battery and new cables also,,still does it

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
perfect timing for finding this post, my road goes from 55, to 25 like instanly, so i am crusing, clutch netural, coast....coast coast, Red light flicker looked again batter, WTF looked and my car died! Fired right up but still. But good call on the connections and the Alt as well, i did have my stereo going but i didnt notice flicking of anything

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've been fighting this very same problem for a while. In the end, it was the TPS causing the stalling at stop lights. I replaced the TPS and my stalling issues were fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
from my days as a chassis master tech for ford i remember having to diag this on mine and there was a ssm which i cant find at the moment for a pcm reflash that fixed this concern for idle rolling-surging and stall when coasting or coming to a stop also i remember something about washer fluid spill over on the fender apron where a ground cable bolts to the apron creating excessive corrosion causing all kinds of wierd concerns if i find it ill post it [werd]

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pretty common problem..Getting a tune fixed it for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts