Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after having bought the springs over a month ago and waiting to get a hold of a pair of spring compressors (thanks for letting me borrow those, Brad), I finally was able to get my SVT springs installed. Josh, gonefhsn, helped me a lot. He ended up doing more than I expected to, but he enjoyed it and I enjoyed learning even more about my fOCUS (rep for ya, Josh). [8D] It didn't take as long as I thought it could have. Brad, the compressors worked well for the front, but took a bit of finessing for the rear, but we got them to work. We had to kinda go the long way around on the driver's side rear because the control arm bolt was stuck in the bushing. [:(!] We tried some WD-40, but it just didn't want to play, so through some improvisation, we managed to get it. I didn't take as many pics as I wanted to, but here is what I managed to take.

This one came out easy.

Here's the SVT spring (top) versus the stock spring (bottom)

Putting the first rear assembly back together.

This was kind of ironic. The SVT springs offer a .5in drop, yet when we got around to the front, we had to put the car on the ramps so we could jack the car up for the stands as it was too low for the jack. The jack had the clearance to get under, but not enough to pump the handle to jack it up.

Here's the front strut out. If you look closely, Brad, in the upper right corner of the pic, that lamp should look familiar. [hihi]

We managed to find most of the torques specs online and using Josh's torque wrench, I learned that you have to be careful with reading this tricky little tool to ensure that you get it on the right setting. Needless to say, this lesson resulted in...wait for it...

...that's right. Our first trip to the auto parts store. [scream] After all, what's a day in the garage without one, right? [dunno] Anyway, torqued [wrenchin] this bolt too much and it snapped.

Wasn't that much to replace it, but since we were there, I decided to pick up one of those tricky torque wrenches to add to my toolbox. Josh double checked the torque wrench after this whenever I set it. [thumb]

That's all the pics I took. After getting everything back together, Josh and I took it for a quick test drive. Did some quick starts and stops and a bit of slaloming on one of the side streets to get the springs settled. [driving] Don't worry, I did it in a slow, controlled manner. I was expecting the creaks and pops while they settled, but this was minimal. The difference in ride quality between the stock and SVT springs is very noticeable. Although, it's only a .5in drop, I'm liking these springs already. [woot] Hope you enjoyed the show.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I wanna see some pics of it overall! Damnit Carl don't leave me hanging here.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
good job......and I was just about to complain about your end link.....

but damn, are you still on stock shocks? that'd be cool if I could just get the springs for a half inch drop [thumb]

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Looks good. i also made plenty of runs to the auto store when i installed my suspension....Enjoy those springs

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice job[thumb] are you getting an alighnment?
I'm gonna get the alignment checked just to be on the safe side, but when I was test driving it, it still seemed okay.

I wanna see some pics of it overall! Damnit Carl don't leave me hanging here.
I have a good before pic that I took a while ago, but I have to get a decent after pic.

are you still on stock shocks? that'd be cool if I could just get the springs for a half inch drop [thumb]
Yeah, still running on the stock shocks/struts. The research I've done stated that the .5in drop would be okay. As soon as I can get the Eibach Pro Kit, it's going to replace the stockers.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
If we can get his car to cooperate, we will be putting my stock SVT springs on my brothers S2. Lucky for him he gets my shocks and struts with only 30k miles on the.

Even though it broke, I say good move going with the new end link. The stock ones are so tiny, I would much rather put the beefier aftermarket ones on!

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
BTW, need a pic of the car with the drop.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. I took the after pic today. I know that a .5in drop prolly won't be that noticeable but here they are.

Before:

After:

Wow, it's more noticeable in the pics than I thought. Well, there they are. As I stated before, the before pic was taken a while ago, but the after pic was taken today when I had to run an errand. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Looks good man! Should look really sick with the pro kit.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Looks tons better then before, at least now the wheel well follows the curve of the tire, i.e they are concentric!

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
Yeah I have to say it looks better than before..and you forgot to put the measurments cnat remember the rear (because we did not take a measurement) but the front went from 26 1/4 to 25 3/4

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Looks good .I give it 2 thumbs up ...[thumb] [thumb]

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I have to say it looks better than before..and you forgot to put the measurments cnat remember the rear (because we did not take a measurement) but the front went from 26 1/4 to 25 3/4
Yeah, I forgot to write it down.[smackbum]

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You know, I'm surprised you don't have winter rims. Haven't you guys been getting slammed with snow?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts