Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 SVT, and shortly after i take off to work in the morning, ill downshift from lets say 3rd to 2nd, and it backfires and my exhaust pops untill i put it into neutral. and on occasion, when this has happened. it stalls out, or idols down to nothing then pops back up to above 1k. changed the plugs and wire, still does the saaaame thing. eevery time i start it after it sits for a while. wondering if i can get some help. or if this happens and is normal due to cold start and running conditions.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Enjoy the popping. Our cars have high compression. Now the stalling seems to be common in the SVT. Mine used to untill I got toms tune.. WOOT.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so its somewhat normal for my SVT to run like @$&* in the morning when its nice and cold outside??? i mean, once its warmed up, she purrs like a kitten.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
High compression does that. Like wugcatsvt said above, get a good tune and it will purrr all day long.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Very normal. Idling the car in cold temps has always been somewhat on the highside. My car idle at like 1100-1200 rpms and drops down to the normal range once she gets nice and toasty.

As far as the backfiring, try installing an ORP or high flow cat. It really wakes the neighbors heh heh. I love it.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I have a 2.5 Trubenz with no resister and a HFC... Mine sounds Like a Rally car.. WOOT!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i already have an ORP, the neighbors loooove me in the morning when i storm down the street. i like the echo off the houses. plus, when the backfire occurs, it sounds that much better. POP, POPPOPPOPPOP POP VROOOOOOMMMM. but now i know its "normal", i wont worry about it anymore. thanks you's guy's.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Woot for rally sounding SVTs!

Besides the "popping" in between shifts, cruise in third gear and coast down to near 30mph, then downshift into 2nd and see what happens...lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooo, i know what happens. thats always fun to do. ive scared people standing on corners because my pop sounds like gun shots sometimes. they jump and look at me like im drive by'ng. but yet, i still have no complaints about the car, i LOVE it and there's plenty of modd's to come.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
mmm fresh cold starts with small blurps

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats a great siggy man. i just laughed my ass off because i know just how that is. nothing like the smell of fresh exhaust on a hot date with a new girl. mmmmm how romantic. [grinking]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Peregrine....absolutely LOVE the siggy.

i love my popcorns and backfires. although, with Tom's tune, the pops are decreased unless you give it just a bit of fuel. with the orp/borla, the resonance between buildings is frickin awesome, couldnt ask for a better sound. especially right around 2500rpms

·
Registered
57 Posts
I park in the garage, and after about a week of leaving at 530 am to go to work; I start getting salty looks from the neighbor next door. I love the sound produced at start up and down shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Very deep and throaty with the occassional snap, crackle, pop to make things crispy.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I've had people ask me what the hell is wrong with my car, when I start it up cold and after a minute or so it starts doing that "chuffing" up/down thing and sputtering. And of course, then the burbling/popping from the exhaust, I love that - I'm easy to please, I was thrilled to discover I can get my GTO to do this too.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
^Yeah, the GTO does it too, but it definitely gets boner worthy when one has an aftermarket exhaust on it.

There's one one subdivision over that has a really sweet burble when he cruises down to a slow roll. Much deeper in tone than any fofo will ever be. It's almost like a midget trying to talk with a deep voice...lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also gotta remember, your comparing a v8 to a 4 banger, of course the grumble will be deeper. someone has to make an exhaust for our SVTF's that makes them sound like V8's.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Oh definitely, I was just being fecitious about it. The dude actually gets a good chuckle out me doing it whenever I catch him on the road behind me. lol [hihi][rolleyes]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts