Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it happen to you that your subs start smoking?

I have a Pioneer TS-W3004SPL sub powered by an Alpine MRD-M1005 and after a minute of continuos sub music (Pablo Petey - Vibrate) it start smokin'

These is my first SPL sub and I dun know whether it is normal. I've got a second sub and I'm planning to hook it up to the same amplifier but want to advised from you on hot to do it fine (series / parallel), or if it better to buy other kind of subs like 3kW Alpine.

Any help will be heard. Thnx.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
yeah, i did it with one of my sony subs. melted the voice coil and now it don't work anymore. good thing it was a junk sub anyway

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So....
Which 12" subs do you think would be the best for this Alpine MRD-M1005?

I mean, I thought these Piooneers were nice but not anymore. I want to go with Alpine but don't know why not RF or MTX or Kickers.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
700w RMS at 4 ohm or 1000w RMS at 2 ohm

1) Do you want 1 or 2 subs?

2) Do you want SQ, SPL, or mixed SQL?

3) What's your budget?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) 2 Subs

2) Actuals are SPL (Which is the difference?)

3) Around $300 for each sub

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
At $220 each, I'm sure Soundsplinter RL-p12 subs will be perfect for you. 213slayer666 just got two and loves them. Send him a PM to get more info.

Get 2 dual 2 ohm subs and give em 500w each.
(each sub wired for 4 ohms, then wired to each other for a final 2 ohm load)

http://www.soundsplinter.com

They are SQL subs, with SQ being the strong point.
Plenty loud with great Sound Quality

Higher output SQL supersubs (mix of loud and sound quality):

Oz Audio Matrix Elite ME12
http://www.ozaudio.com/oz/oz_me12.htm
$289 each
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15327

Image Dynamics IDMAX12 (find used)
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/tech_page.php?name=IDMAX12D2 V.3&type=sub&id=idmax

These need more power:
Adire Audio Brahma
Resonant Engineering SX

There are plenty of others.
And, if you want SPL only, then see what DetroitBass has in mind.

I'm guessing you want SQL. And with 700 to 1000 watts, the 3 subs I mentioned should to the trick for you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Resonant Engineering is awesome. A good friend of mine is sponsored by them. I used NOTHING but RE Audio. Go with the SX, you won't regret it. I had a single SX 12 and it POUNDED. People constantly asked how many 15s I had.

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/REAudio/sx12.4.wmv

Over the years I've had a RE XXX 15, 4 RE Audio MT 15s, 2 RE 8s, 1 SX 12, just to name a few.

Go with RE. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know why my subs are still working. I will take them out of the enclousure to see which of them are smoking or if it the speaker cable that is melting. My speaker wire is #10.

I'll check them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Having run the Pioneers with a lot more power than you are, it's not the subs. You're not close to overpowering them. If they're smoking, you're feeding them too much distortion. Even if the box is wrong, it's not going to cause them to smoke. You're amp could be putting out DC current to the speaker leads. What size is your power and ground cable? Have you done the Big3? Are you grounding through a bolt or just a screw? Are both subs smoking or just 1?

before you waste money on new subs, I'd find the problem first. It could be a bad woofer but it'll usually smoke only once before dying.

Good luck.

Installman

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running 1 sub of 2. I couple of days ago I though about distortion but didn't realize it could be the reason for smoking.

- I bought yesterday a new battery (Optima YT).
- My lights dimm less but still dimm.
- Haven't done the Big 3. (Think I will)
- I run cable 0/1 AWG from battery to distribution block.
- I'm still running 4 AWG from battery to ground.
- Distribution block run 2 x 4AWG (1 for Components Amp & 1 for Sub Amp)
- Ground for both Amps are screwed directly to the chasis.

I've noticed my Sub Amp gets around 10.4v on the display on an excursion test. It begins hitting really loud until smoking (this has happened twice). I just turn down the volume for a while.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey gusy! no more smokin' at all.
I set the LP to 85Hz and the new battery help me a lot. Just one sub is working because I need to run some power cable to install the second amp.
During the testings rear mirrors were like gelatin and rear door windows seems to brake. I just have to say this sub hit really hard.
Once again, thanks to all of you that helped me.
As soon as I finish to install new carpet and the other amp I will submit some photos and maybe a video.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts