Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just because I am waiting now I thought I would share my story.

I bought a 2013 Performance Blue SE with the 201A appearance package with the 5 speed manual back in January of 2013. I loved the car! But I have always lurked around and thought about what it would have been like to get the ST instead. Well in July I had a kid slam on his breaks in front of me on the highway at 65mph for no apparent reason. Luckily I was following far enough back that I was able to swerve, and after only barely catching his rear right side, sliding through the ditch and coming to a stop my SE was totaled! (See the attached picture) I got a ticket for following too close and two broken ribs (luckily as it could have been much worse). I fought the ticket and won and my insurance is still working out the details but it looks like I will not be at fault in the accident even though I rear ended him, but it was stupidity on the other drivers part.

I went back out looking for a new focus at the end of August but couldn't find what I wanted in a 5spd (I didn't want the DCT). I couldn't find anything. Again I also started looking at the ST. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of spending more money as I already had my SE paid off. But after enough convincing her that if I waited till 2015 the costs would go up (and test driving a ST3 and knowing I couldn't handle the recaros for my commute every day, I loved them but they were a bit much for my daily driving, so that helped bring the car back down in price) I convinced her to let me look at the ST's again.

I headed off to the dealer to see what was available in the ST1 package....alas every one we found was either sold or on order from the factory. I had thought that it was too late to order (and so did my dealership) when they took another look. So ended up ordering on Sept 30th a 2014 ST1 Performance Blue with the moonroof and rado gray wheels. So now I just have to sit an wait (which is the hardest part!).

I am excited to get exactly what I want and to have some extra fun with this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Wow, thats totaled? Looks like a couple of quarter panels, 2 doors, and some airbags.
Once airbags go off, the car is deemed totaled

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thats totaled? Looks like a couple of quarter panels, 2 doors, and some airbags.

Yeah, there were the airbags and some suspension damage and the whole car was going to have to be repainted and some other body work done (I slid through the ditch of long grass and weeds). It was up to 16K in damage and they hadn't even looked under the car yet so they totaled the car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, there were the airbags and some suspension damage and the whole car was going to have to be repainted and some other body work done (I slid through the ditch of long grass and weeds). It was up to 16K in damage and they hadn't even looked under the car yet so they totaled the car.
Yeah, 16k I can see totaling it.

Just out of curiosity(and glad you're ok), I thankfully have never been in an accident where airbags have deployed. But what is that like? Loud? did your head hit the front one? You dont have to answer if you dont want to relive it but I have always wondered and have been kind of afraid of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this was the first accident I have ever been in myself, luckily for me the steering wheel airbag didn't deploy so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. To be honest with you it all happened so fast its hard to actually remember. The car in front of me slammed on its breaks. I was able to swerve and only hit the back right of his car with the drivers side of my car. so it felt more like a side impact (which could have been the airbags and/or the impact) Thinking back, I did hear a loud noise (I now think it was the airbags) but I just thought it was the impact of the cars. I didn't even really notice the airbags went off until after I had stopped (after going across the right lane, down into the ditch and slid down the ditch for about 30 yards). At that point I realized that the airbags had gone off because the side curtain airbag was blocking my view out the window. I had a polyester golf shirt on and it was actually melted to the seat belt a little bit which I am assuming was from the heat of the airbags deploying. I also think that my cracked ribs were actually from the seat airbag going off. I hope that answers some of your questions. Like I said, I got off light in the grand scheme of things as to what could have happened and it all happened so fast that I really didn't know what was going on until after I had gotten out of the vehicle and took a second to assess what happened.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for answering. Wow. Sounds rough. I have always worried about getting into one and the front bag going off. I have this fear of it pushing my glasses into my head. Of course its probably better than hitting my head on something like the steering wheel or pillar or glass. Again glad you made it with minor injuries. Guess the car performed as needed.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
wow, glad you werent hurt worse.
your lucky to get the ticket dropped and possibly not getting insurance blaim.

typically the letter of the law is that you should be far enough back to be able to stop or evade regardless of the stupidity of the driver in front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, glad you werent hurt worse.
your lucky to get the ticket dropped and possibly not getting insurance blaim.

typically the letter of the law is that you should be far enough back to be able to stop or evade regardless of the stupidity of the driver in front.
Yup. And that is exactly what the District Attorney told me. I think because the insurance wasn't settled yet was the only reason they let me off the ticket. She told me she didn't think it was really my fault (the other driver basically admitted to being an idiot by slamming on his brakes to the cop) and by having the legal ticket against me would hurt my chances with the insurance. I feel pretty darn lucky about the whole situation... and I am getting a new ST to boot!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
that's not true. I review estimates for many insurance companies and we get them all the time with airbag deployment that is far from a total..
Airbags are around $1000 each right? If all 10 airbags pop plus any body / suspension damage. I can see that totaling a car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Airbags are around $1000 each right? If all 10 airbags pop plus any body / suspension damage. I can see that totaling a car.
How often are all 10 going to pop? Never unless you roll the car or something like that. If nobody is in the passenger seat the passenger air bag won't pop, the side curtain still will if hit in side.

Drivers air bag for 2012+ is $436, passenger is $534, each seat air bag is $225, and the head air bags are $494.10. If the car has a knee airbag then that is $318. When any airbag goes off the control module has to be replaced and if the drivers air bag goes off clock spring too. The module is $440 and the clock spring is $181.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Glad you guys are ok. Great to see you guys go w/ the new st. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Forget the price of the airbags.

If all 10 go off, the car would have been trashed anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts