Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been waiting for my FS Sport Exhaust to come for a while now, and I've been gettin pretty impatient, so I got bored and decided to try something new:

Ok first off I removed my air box resonator a while ago, and I was very impressed at the deep sporty sound (especially at 3-4k rpms) People always tell me how sweet it sounds. I also dropped a K&N filter in there instead of that stock paper peice of crap. But I live in Houston, and oh boy does it get hot. And during the day my intake is sucking in all that hot air, and my throttle response jus lags and its no fun. At night, however, its a whole different story an my car will just take off screaming loud as heck once i give it sum gas. Well anyways i saw this article at myfordfocus. com about making a cold air extension to put in place of the hole from where the resonator is suppose 2 be. http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man-clone.htm and so i went to NAPa and bought a flex hose, and managed to fabricate my very own performance mod.

So i took my car out for a spin to see if indeed there was any difference at all to my perfomance (i honeslty was not expectin any). Right off the bat, the car responded very different, at first i thought it was jus my imagination, but after a whole days worth of driving I am convinced at my results. The car definetly had more torque at higher rpms. For example with the stock intake, as im sure many of u have experienced, the rpms jus sorta lag to the rev limiter at WOT and then it shifts. But with this homemade CAI thingamajig, it pulled smoothly all the way to rev limiter which I liked.

However, what i didn't like was that it sorta acted as a resonator and quieted my intake down. you could still hear it, but it was more of a airy sound, that the deep growl that im used to w/out the resonator. Also a big problem espeically at night, was that throttle response was much slower. I guess since it was sucking air from further away it takes a while to respond, b/c I would floor it and it would jus kinda sit there and then it would zoom off, where as w/out the resonator and it jus sucking in air directly into the intake, the throttle repsonse is immediate, sum times enough to kick u back in ur seat.

Anyways i thought i would jus share my findings, i removed my homemade CAI, and jus left it w/out the resonator. The homemade CAI is a good mod for the day, but its lack of throttle reponse and sound esepcially at night, jus couldn't justify it for me. BUt it was nice to see jus how much of a differnce 3 bucks and a lil ingunity could make. O well ill jus have to save up and buy a ICE-MAn (i would prefer a volant but since i already have a K&N filter, no sense in putting all that money to waste). DAMn im really sorry about this long post, i guess i got carried away.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just get somebody at your local muffler shop with a mandrel bender to make one up for you. Request the diameter pipe that will fit a K&N Cone filter, let 'em know where you want it to end up, and you'll have a real CAI without the huge cost of the IceMan intake. (Tip, do the same thing for your exhaust at the same time)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts