Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning, when I was about to get into my new car, I realized that rearview mirror on the driver side is shattered. [?|][?|][?|]However, the rest of the car is ok. I parked outside of my apartment. Could this be some kind of a vandalized act or someone just ran through it? Anyway, what are my options on this? Will it cost a lot of money and will my insurance cover this? I really dont want to go to a dealer unless i have to.
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, is it just the mirror, as these can be replaced easily and cheaply from any automotive store, if it is the actual housing then it will cost alot more. There is also a cover over the housing, no so expensive but I think it has to be painted the colour of the car.
Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah, if it's just the glass portion of the mirror itself, remove it (most pop out) and put a new one in...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The housing itself is not damage. However, the parts that connected the mirror to the car is damaged.

·
Registered
360 Posts
count up all of the parts you see that need to be replaced, add up their cost. If it's less or about the same as your deductible, just pay out of pocket. that's what i would do anyway.
also helps if you have a tech friend, cause parts are cheaper when they order it for you.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
pictures of damage? may have been some idiot who accidentally hit it rather than vandalism, but still shitty that they didn't own up

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your comprehensive insurance coverage should pay for it. Since most of us have a lien on our cars the lender probably requires this coverage.

How expensive it is depends on your deductible.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, do you have no clams bonus's and excess to pay on your insurance, if so then making a claim would be silly in comparison to the cost of a whole mirror. Over here the housing, with a new mirror and internals, but without the cap, would be about £80 with the fitting easy enough for the novice.
Chris

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have hit the passenger side mirror while driving through construction. One construction barrel was way into the lane, and my mirror clipped it just enough to scare me. Thankfully no damage.
The mirrors stick out on the 2012 Focus a LOT. With another car having mirrors the same, they could certainly make contact as the driver passes by..
The housing does rotate on a spring-like mechanism. So the housing could have taken a big hit and just moved, breaking the mirror with a hard enough hit, but leaving the cover intact. (and since the connection to the car is cracked, I bet it was a car driving by that did it.)
You should just buy a whole new mirror, and exclange the painted part. It is going to cost about $150. (as a guess.. I did one on my last Ford and it was $120. not painted)
((Save the old internal mirror adjustment motors.. They can be valuable if one dies later on..
The mirrors DO fold, and I suggest for folks who park on the street to fold the mirror when leaving the car overnight.(if they are worried)
I see a few folks who do this all the time. I guess they had a broken mirror too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts