Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Lol, damn... That's a lot of trophies. Next season you should do PAX, or the rallyx equivalent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just took up Rally X this year, also bought a ZX3 to use, I do it with Edmonton Rally Club, I'm loving it and as a bonus I place 2nd in my 2nd event :) Guess what placed 1st, yup another 2003 ZX3, the rest of the Novice 2WD field was made up of MX5's Neons MR2's Civics ETC, but 'Team Ford' dominated.

Right now the car is completely stock with the exception of a cold air intake. If t survives the season I may then start stripping it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just took up Rally X this year, also bought a ZX3 to use, I do it with Edmonton Rally Club, I'm loving it and as a bonus I place 2nd in my 2nd event :) Guess what placed 1st, yup another 2003 ZX3, the rest of the Novice 2WD field was made up of MX5's Neons MR2's Civics ETC, but 'Team Ford' dominated.

Right now the car is completely stock with the exception of a cold air intake. If t survives the season I may then start stripping it out.

Sounds Good!

You have a zetec powered zx3?

Also we seriously need some updates from sbk86......it's been too quiet here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds Good!

You have a zetec powered zx3?

Also we seriously need some updates from sbk86......it's been too quiet here.
Yup, both my 2nd placed ZX3 and the winners ZX3 are 03's with the Zetec engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Rallyrs what make are those spring spacers I read about on page one? and are you going to RallyX at Glen Helen next month?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spacers ..

ST Suspensions 30085, | ST Suspensions

And no..I won't be at Glen Helen for a while...

I haven't raced since I won the cal club region prepared 2wd championship
in 2013.

Blew the engine(on the street)in 2014.
Car is on backburner now....

Hope to have a 2.5 swapped in sometime soon...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Sorry it's been a long while since I updated. I've been back and forth between Hawaii and home for work all year. I guess I can't complain too much :p but I did miss a couple races because of it.

The car has held up really great this year, I haven't had too many issues and no DNFs. I had a rear shock start to leak so replaced that. Also replaced my inner tie rods since there was a lot of slop in them. I replaced them with AutoZone parts and within two races the driver side was bad again. I switched to a different brand off RockAuto so hopefully they hold up better. Strut mounts seem to be going bad every three races or so. I thought about going with a stronger mount but there aren't many options available and all the ones I've seen are really expensive (like KMACs). Parts are so cheap I don't mind, just lots of practice at working on the suspension lol.

Anyways onto modifications for this year... For the last couple races I removed the spacers from the front struts. The DC region courses have settled down and the ruts aren't as bad anymore, the 1/4" skid plate gets the rest. Also I noticed the spacers were getting badly worn on the inside, this may have contributed to my strut mounts going bad. So now my suspension is just the tokicos all around with custom springs in the front only.

Finally removed the interior! I bought seats, harnesses and a sweet wheel from schroeder02 on here earlier this year but since the car was still my daily driver I never got around to installing them. But now I got a Tacoma for a new daily driver/tow vehicle so the Focus is a dedicated race car. I got everything installed before the event earlier this month and it made a huge difference. The DC rally chair has said that the two best upgrades you can do are tires and racing seats. Definitely agree. Sure the SVT seats are great but now I'm completely planted and feel everything about the car. It's a lot easier to feel how the car is behaving, what the back end is doing, etc that I think I'm staying on the gas more and sliding the car better than I was before.

So onto the results... a lot more competition this year. There's a guy with a Celica who is really talented. He's done plenty of autocross and gone to nationals. I know, it's a Celica but the guy can drive. We're always within a second of each other in times and it always comes down to penalties in the end. In the summer I lost twice to him. But for the last two races I've squeezed out a first place win. We're currently tied up in season points so the championship is going to all come down to the last race of the season on November 7th. We've also had a variety of other cars out in MF class this year: an old VW, CRX, 07 Civic Si (he only came out for one event but was really close in time, supposed to be doing a full season next year), Subaru Justy, some others I'm forgetting. The Justy driver is really talented as well but the car just doesn't have the power. He's planning on installing a supercharger to get more power which may be ridiculous in that light weight of a car.

I don't think I'll make many more changes to the SVT. It's performing great and at the last race I was 4th out of 39 cars overall. I may be getting a hotbits suspension from a guy who rallys his Focus but we'll see how that works out. Over the winter I may do some more weight reduction, weld in tow hooks, fabricate a new skid plate.

I'll update a lot sooner after the next race to let you all know how it goes.

Some before and after shots from last event:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts