Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have an 05' Focus ZX4 and my radio just stopped working out of no where. I had an after-market CD player, thought that took a crap because it would eject cds and show the time but wouldn't turn on. So I put the stock unit in, and it does the same thing. All of my fuses are good, a wiring diagram would greatly help me out alot. I am just so tired of riding around with no tunes lol....well if anyone has any input on this then that would be great!!!! thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
+12V DC Battery(Constant) Fuse 31 20 amp Junction box behind left side of dash

Switched Accessory Fuse 41 7.5 amp Junction box behind left side of dash

I would double check those 2...it may not look blown but it could be...did you test the fuse or did you just look at them??

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
More info needed.....Do you have an external amp? If that fails, you get no sound.

Do the radio lights come on, but no sound? If that's the case, the fuses are good.

If you get nothing when you turn on the radio, and you're sure the fuses are good......the next step is to remove the radio, and check the plugs at the rear. Are they tightly snapped in?

If they're snapped in ok.... remove them all from the radio and check for power at the plugs. One pin should be 12v all the time. At least one more should get 12v when the ignition is on. There should also be some ground wires (usually black), but they don't usually fail.

Some setups have a remote volume control on the steering column.....don't know what would happen if that gets unplugged. Probably nothing that would cause the radio not to work.

Good luck...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hope this helps you also...

RADIO HARNESS
Wire Function Color Note Fuse # Size Location
+12V DC Battery(Constant) Orange/black 31 20 amp Junction box behind left side of dash
Switched Accessory Yellow/green 41 7.5 amp Junction box behind left side of dash
Ground Black/green
Remote Turn On(output) White/red turn on subwoofer
Illumination Orange/black
Steering Wheel Control Wire White/black & Brown/yellow
Left Front + White/black
Left Front - Gray/black
Right Front + White/red
Right Front - Gray/red
Left Rear + White/violet
Left Rear - Gray/white
Right Rear + White
Right Rear - Gray
Subwoofer + White/black
Subwoofer - Gray/black

AMPLIFIER OUTPUTS
Wire Function Color Note Fuse # Size Location
12V DC Battery Red Subwoofer amplifier pins 5 & 6 24 30 amp Junction box in left rear corner of engine compt.
Remote Turn On (input) White/red
Subwoofer 1 + White/black
Subwoofer 1 - Gray/black

[burnout]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the info guys this helped me out extreamly! And thank you 02ZX3NJ for the wire colors and what they were for. It ended up being the yellow/green wire (ignition wire) that was open. Traced the wire to a big junction connector on the driver side kick panel, and found that the pin for the ingnition wire for the radio wasn't making good contact. Fixed that problem and now I have a radio again :) thanks again for everyones help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know of I'm bring this back from the dead but my radio just quit working too. I checked the voltage and it around 13 v but the radio won't turn on. Any thing that I should check??

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you have voltage on the 12v constant ignition and a good groind going into the radio only one tging left..... the radio
It gives me the 13 v constant and when I turn the car on. I have tried and after market radio but it won't turn on either. Where could I find the ground of the radio?? I tried to follow the cables, but it get way back there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It gives me the 13 v constant and when I turn the car on. I have tried and after market radio but it won't turn on either. Where could I find the ground of the radio?? I tried to follow the cables, but it get way back there.
You didn't mention power on the ignition wire. If you'll read the topic, that was the OP's problem too. The yellow/green wire should go from 0V to 12+V when you turn the key on. The ground is black/green. Did you even read before you posted?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts