Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here the freak'n issue i think that only after 4k my clutch is shot! is their any way to test to see if the clutch is gone easily? also could their be another reason why the clutch pedal is soft and it's a little hesitant to get into and out gears?[:(!] [xx(] [V] [?|]

·
Registered
124 Posts
you could have picked up an air bubble in the line thats stuck in the slave cylinder. around the top of the tranny there is a nipple looking thing thats the bleeder valve... you need two people one to push the clutch peddle and one to loosin the valve while the other person holds the clutch in... if fluid comes out without any bubbles you should be all set, if nothing comes out keep doing it till it does... also if your having trouble getting in and out of gears a throw out bearing could be bad... no test of that i know of to check that though...

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have a soft pedal and it does not want to go into and out of gear my guess is you have a problem with the clutch master cylinder or the throw out bearing (this part is inside the bell housing and you have to take the gearbox out to inspect/change it)

The first thing I would do is check the brake fluid (the brakes and clutch share the same fluid) if it is low my guess is you have a clutch master cylinder that might be leaking. Check for fluid around the clutch pedal inside the car. If it is dry I would try and bleed the system (the bleed screw is on the top of the gearbox right below the ignition coil area) fill the brake fluid and have someone slowly pump the clutch pedal while you have a hose attached to the bleeder and see if there was any air in the system.

If there was something wrong with the Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel it is usually a problem of it slipping (step on the gas in 3rd gear at about 4000 rpm and the engine speeds up but the car does not?) but that will not usually cause the pedal to feel soft and not release completly (hard to shift). There is a remote chance you have a clutch disc or a pressure plate/ flywheel that are starting to come apart but that would be the final guess if you have checked everything else out.

My recomendation, just in case it is the latter and things are starting to come apart (this has happened in the past to a number of cars and when it does it takes the transmission out as part of the explosion) I would keep the RPMs down and don't do any BONZI launches until you figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
621 Posts
livinlots26 said:
[...] also if your having trouble getting in and out of gears a throw out bearing could be bad... no test of that i know of to check that though...
if the bearing is bad it may rattle around some, as with the stock svt assembly's, one of the symptoms that can also go away when you press the clutch pedal all the way in.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
look for wetness at the clutch pedal push rod (under dash) you might have a leaking master cylinder

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did noitced so fluid on the bell housing a couple weeks ago, and there is a rattiling that comes from the tranny, but only when i'm idling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts