Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was taking it to the shop today to have the timing belt done along with water pump and tensioner. On the way to the shop it snapped and bent like 8 valves. It's going to cost me like 1000 bucks to fix now instead of 300. It's a sad sad day god has a horrible since of humor. I'm starting a car fundraiser I want my baby back

·
Registered
624 Posts
:'( sad day indeed. That sucks that it happened while on the way to get it done.

..... it's like snapping your belt on the way to the shop....

this line should be added to song "Ironic"

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it blows now I'm stuck walking to work till it fixed go thing I live just a mile away hahaha

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
did you know it needed to replaced?? it just happen to go out on the way to be replaced? that sucks dude good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
How many miles did the belt make it to before she went?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told it was changed at 60,xxx and the car had 109,xxx but it was the original belt so 109,xxx before she went on the way to the shop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
scares me! i got 108xxx miles on mine! hope she doesnt go!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
derrrr you have a chain on ur duratec much better it will strech and slip causing this same problem get it done. the guides will wear and boom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
derrrr you have a chain on ur duratec much better it will strech and slip causing this same problem get it done. the guides will wear and boom

No it won't.

Guides, depending on variables, can outlast the engine ... well over 200K isn't uncommon at all. But a lot depends on using quality oils and generally maintaining the car.
A chain does not stretch.

Also, I'd like some type of confirmation of how you know you bent 8 valves.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for one chains do stretch and as for as my bent valves when i have a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between my cam and my the lifters or buckets i consider that bent.
flame on another post

here is some reading material might want to know what your talking about before you type.
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM617TimingChainStretch

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
"Deflection" is not stretch. They are measuring deflection, they just worded it wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The chain on my MTB stretched!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Was taking it to the shop today to have the timing belt done along with water pump and tensioner. On the way to the shop it snapped and bent like 8 valves. It's going to cost me like 1000 bucks to fix now instead of 300. It's a sad sad day god has a horrible since of humor. I'm starting a car fundraiser I want my baby back
I feel you, a month ago a tornado whipped through Springfield, MA where i work... The tornado went right over my office and ruined my SVT. It moved the car 15 feet threw a branch into it and debris smashed out all the windows. It sat there in the rain for a few days until the cops would let us back on the property again.

But its all cosmetic drove it an hour and a half back to my house, insurance gave me 4000 and I still got to keep the car. I loved that car. I took me about a month to decide what to do with it... [:(]

Yesterday I decided to fix the windows, and drive it around with dents and all... (and possibly a powerworks supercharger!!) [headbang]

On the plus side, now that your valves are bent its a good opportunity for you to do and engine rebuild for some sort of FI later [8D]

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Chains can stretch over time if they are not probably maintained. But I do agree that they can last much much longer than our belts.

to the OP: Ouch, sorry to hear. I just went through the same issue about 3 months ago.
To save money, find a donor SVT Head or used Valves and rebuild your head. Get it to a machine shop and it can be re-seated for around 400. Then just rebuild the car back.

Cost for your new Gaskets would be around 100. So, you can have your SVTF back in less than 500-600 bucks. 400 less than the 1000.

Good luck with the rebuild.

-Ray-

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I ripped the head off yesterday and found all but 2 valves were not bent. I looked at it and was like what the [email protected] I can't believe that 14 of 16 valves really. That without trying to restart the car. My buddy got my head rebuilt for 220 and now I just got to find away to afford the rest of the stuff. Put a new water pump on my car today. Got to take small steps but I will get it back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have all the Windows you need Knew Hampshire if your interested, I am in Maine, let me know..

FRED

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow so i ripped everything apart to save a lot of money bought all my parts. including extras like the water pump ten/idler pulleys new hoses and belt. took the head to the shop and what do u know the shop could not find my exhaust valves anywhere could not believe it. so i then had to buy my valves and valve seals. the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]s are still trying to charge me the same price for the head to get done. i told them to get the head back together i will take it somewhere else. can u believe the nerve of same places. here u buy the parts and we will charge u the same price as if we bought them. wow just wow. got my parts pretty cheap for everything. 319 for a gates timing set, fel-pro complete gasket set, serp belt, tensoiner, idler pulley, water pump, and valves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a fan of fel-pro gaskets on modern cars. I like to stick with OEM or an actual improved aftermarket one. Just a thought since your spending the money its wise to do it right.

·
Registered
194 Posts
but i thought duratecs where non interferance engines, thus causing you to be only stranded if the chain goes bad?

also sorry to hear about your car, that's what i call a bad dream you never wake up from, but just think in a year all the scars will be gone from this misfortune, and your svt will be live and tearing up the streets

1 - 20 of 20 Posts