Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that 7600RPM is the limit for how much the SVTs oil pump can handle... does anyone know what the rods, crank, etc can handle?

I was letting a friend drive my car (I was in the passenger seat) and my brother started joking around trying to see if he could pull us on the highway in his POS Mercury Tracer LTS (with an obnoxiously loud exhaust leak). Anyway he pulled up next to us and I told her to downshift into 4th gear and punch it just to make him buzz off. Well she really screwed this one up and I imagine you can guess what she did when she went for 4th... 2nd gear! [:0] [:0] [:0] Tach swung up and pegged past 7600RPM! I noticed soemthing wasn't right with that shift instantly and it didn't reach 7600 before I started screaming "CLUTCH!" a bunch of times with all sorts of obscenities in between each shreak of "clutch!". I was totally freaking out and by the time I looked at the speedo I think it was at 65MPH but we had already been coasting for a while with it in neutral as I freaked out...

So this is the aftermath- she is running PERFCTLY fine. No unusual sounds (I had the hood popped with a stick listening all over for about 20 minutes afterwards) and it did not kick into limp mode or anything like that. So far everything sounds good.

Last time anyone lacking a y-chromo EVER tries to downshift in my car on the highway [?|]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it happens, gotta love that mechanically forced over-rev. I wouldn't worry too much about the crank rods and pistons, the valvetrain is good to about 8k if I remember correctly, but after that you run into valve float issues.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never done it before to any of my cars. You feel when your in the wrong gear by the way the shifter slips in and the way it feels like your hitting the brakes when you let out on the clutch. I can see how it could happen if your shifting fast but she was doing a slow shift. I just hope my baby is OK. I just changed the oil 20 miles before this happened so atleast the oil pump was sucking in clean 5w20 mobil when it happened.

Anaxagoras1986 said:

Last time anyone lacking a y-chromo EVER tries to downshift in my car on the highway [?|]
Lol I think this is kinda funny!

·
Registered
201 Posts
No rev limiter to prevent damage? I've never gotten mine too close to the redline. In a Subaru Impreza one time I dropped a gear to make a pass on the 2 lane road and she musta hit the rev limiter because she kinda went dead but came right back on when the rev dropped just a little. Still made the pass.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Great......I was just thinking of "refreshing" my gf on the art of driving stick before we went on vacation to NC (so I wouldn't have to drive the whole way). She has driven manual cars before, but last time I gave her a refresher course, I smelled the clutch before we went 2 miles on the odo (this was in my GTI, not the SVTF). I might just have to rethink that........

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the rev limiter doesn't help during a downshift, since its your speed turning the motor, not combustion..

The only way to prevent overrev during a downshift is A) put it in the right gear, or B) push the clutch back in if you picked the wrong one

·
Registered
201 Posts
My wife doesn't like my SVT (actually hates all Ford products). One reason is the surging problem. But she's also afraid she'll wreck it so she won't drive it at all. OK by me. You guys need to figure out a way to make it their idea not to drive the car. Usually when we go somewhere together she drives because I become Mr. Hyde behind the wheel of the SVT. I was bumping her head on the head rest the other day by goosing it a little in lower gears. Good thing she already married me or I'd probably never even get a second date.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kickstar said:
why does it gotta be a girl thing? lol...... glad it didn't break anything.

I just like to joke about it. I don't mean any offense by it... it was only a joke! [:)~]

Yes she is going to need alot more practice before I let her drive it again. She claims that 2nd and 4th are too close together! BS! The shifter on the SVTF is overly defined with truck like throws!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
I just changed the oil 20 miles before this happened so atleast the oil pump was sucking in clean 5w20 mobil when it happened.
It should be sucking clean 5w30...[;)]

·
Registered
744 Posts
From what I've read, the SVTF engine is good past 8000 RPM. The oil pumps do seem to be the weak link in the whole setup. Now, you say it's running fine and, since you've got a SVT, you've also got an oil pressure gauge. If it's reading okay then don't get your underwear all in a bunch.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I did the same once, 2nd gear at ~65mph, I crunched the numbers afterwards and found it was reving high, but not that far beyond the limiter, for the 0.5 seconds it was near 8k, bouncing off the limiter like mad, it didnt seem to hurt anything. That was some 8,000 miles ago, still runs true, I wouldnt be too concerned so long as you dont make a habit out of it.

EDIT: Revisiting my notes, the speed must've been off for me to have been hitting the rev ceiling in 2nd, since 7600rpm = ~72mph. I'll admit I wasnt really paying close attention to the speedo, I did learn tho.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had 5w30 last time I changed the oil but I hear alot of people screaming about how I need 20 and others about 30 and such. I think either one should be ok although in this heat maybe the 30 would be better...

I rarely get close to 7200rpm and my new limiter is 7600 with my tune. I think in this incident she was in the 8s somewhere but I don't know.

SVT oil pressure guages don't do anything.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^SVT calls for 5W-30...period...

And, yes, I've read anywhere from 8,000-8,300 being the limit for the valve train and bottom end.
It's that pesky oil pump that's limited to 7,600.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll change it to 30 soon. I'd like to drain that oil and look at it anyway after this incident.

Does the oil pump suck oil in from the sump and then push it through the filter and then to the mains, head, and so on and so forth? Or does it go through the filter first then the pump?

·
Registered
396 Posts
gukin said:
From what I've read, the SVTF engine is good past 8000 RPM. The oil pumps do seem to be the weak link in the whole setup. Now, you say it's running fine and, since you've got a SVT, you've also got an oil pressure gauge. If it's reading okay then don't get your underwear all in a bunch.

that gauge is completely useless and dont ever think differently.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts