Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so i got my focus a couple weeks ago and i cant seem to get my phone to sync, the dealer couldn't either. It's a Samsung flight SGH A796, it connects and they seem to see each other but if i try to do anything sync says i have no phone connected, my phone randomly disconnects, then if i tell it to reconnect it does but still nothing happens. My friend has a samsung galaxy s2 and it works fine, im guessing it's my phone, guess maybe i'll upgrade soon

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey so i got my focus a couple weeks ago and i cant seem to get my phone to sync, the dealer couldn't either. It's a Samsung flight SGH A796, it connects and they seem to see each other but if i try to do anything sync says i have no phone connected, my phone randomly disconnects, then if i tell it to reconnect it does but still nothing happens. My friend has a samsung galaxy s2 and it works fine, im guessing it's my phone, guess maybe i'll upgrade soon
I don't see you phone on the list of compatible phones but I may have missed it. Since another phone does sync up, then your guess is probably right, its your phone. Does it have the latest OS on it? you can also try the troubleshooting items on syncmyride like clean pairing and reverse pairing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Set the download phone book to off, then do a clean pair on your phone. Download the Sync My Phone app and follow the instructions on the SyncMyRide website.

Your Phone probably doesn't support the MAP protocol over bluetooth.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea its has a samsung OS and it doesnt have any updates i've searched a bunch of times. I'll try turning off the the phone book and i'll see. I've gone to the sync my ride site and sent them an email too, they gave me a slightly vauge responce of
"per our records, the flight 797 nor 796 are compatible with our SYNC system."
not sure if they ment nor or or, usually u would say neither the flight 797 nor 796 are compatible,

·
Registered
967 Posts
^^^ If I might suggest, tough it out for a few more weeks and get this -http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-aka-nexus-prime-caught-on-video-07186060/

It comes with android 4.0 and should be completely compatible and updates every few weeks unlike regular phones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm maybe, i would prefer something with a qwerty keypad tho, i just want soemthing thats a touch screen, qwerty, w/ android! unfortunately not alot of choices, rogers has a new samsung galaxy Q that looks alright but its a basic android phone, i would love an HTC desire Z but they're so expensive without a plan

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've got a Samsung Epic 4G and I've had nothing but continual problems pairing with Bluetooth. I finally gave up and bought a corded headset.

Tony

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hmmmm maybe, i would prefer something with a qwerty keypad tho, i just want soemthing thats a touch screen, qwerty, w/ android! unfortunately not alot of choices, rogers has a new samsung galaxy Q that looks alright but its a basic android phone, i would love an HTC desire Z but they're so expensive without a plan
True, but you have to pay to play. I think rogers has some kind of buy back option where they take so much off the cost of the phone if you've been on your renewed contract so many months.

I'm with Telus and with them it's $10 for every month. So I renewed my contract in April so I would be eligible for $60 off the full cost of a phone today. It's not much, but better then nothing. I'm actually waiting for the Nexus Prime, if that turns out to be as good as it's rumored, I may upgrade to that. No more waiting for carrier updates.

Also if you're thinking about upgrading and have to pay full anyhow, you can shop anywhere you like and buy from bell or telus and just get the phone unlocked.

I would wait until November though, that's when all the deals and new products will hit.

basically, if it's not on the list, it won't sync...
Posted via FF Mobile
Ahhh, not necessarily true! There are little to no Canadian phones on the list at all and a lot of them sync. Although if your phone is on the list and known to NOT work, then it will continue to obviously not work.

The only phone I know of that has 100% capability with MFT is a handful of blackberry's and the Galaxy S II.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've got a Samsung Epic 4G and I've had nothing but continual problems pairing with Bluetooth. I finally gave up and bought a corded headset.

Tony
Did you try a reverse pair? Having the phone find the car instead of vice-versa? That seems to help 90% of android problems.

Although in my case I find if I have a problem its not the car, its my phone locking up bluetooth. It does that to wifi from time to time too :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done my phone pairing by searching for sync on my phone, i got another email from ford sync and they suggested i do a master reset on sync in my car. They also told me to turn off the phonebook syncing part but where they described for me to go shut it off doesnt seem to exist. Im looking at getting this phone now, see below for the email from ford

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/25/rogers-getting-samsung-galaxy-s-glide-in-time-for-the-holidays/

To perform a master reset:
Note: To scroll, press SEEK or the Up/Down arrows.
1. Press the Phone Button to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS MENU.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display.
6. Press OK. SYNC will ask you to confirm the reset.
7. Press OK to confirm.

We have noticed that when pairing some phones you get a more stable connection if you do not download the phone book during the pairing process. Please follow the steps below to pair your phone.

To pair your phone with a Standard Radio:
1. Press the phone button to access the phone menu.
2. Scroll to Add Device and press OK.
3. It will say 'Find SYNC' and begin giving instructions, then press OK.
4. SYNC will display a 6 digit PIN, and say to use your device to search for SYNC, and then enter the PIN provided by SYNC.
5. Then go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and search for a new device.
6. SYNC should display, and then select it.
7. Your phone will ask for a PIN number, enter the PIN that is on the radio display.
8. After pressing OK or enter on your phone, they will attempt to make the connection.

The radio will prompt you to set this as your primary phone, to turn on 911 assist (if equipped), and to download the phone book. When the download phone book option displays press ok once, then press the right seek arrow until the display reads NO, and then press the OK button. <--- this is the part that i cant figure out, i dont seem to get this prompt

Please follow the steps below to send your contacts to SYNC:

1. Press the PHONE button to enter the Phone Menu.
2. Scroll to PHONE SETTINGS and press OK.
3. Scroll to MODIFY PHONEBOOK and press OK.
4. Scroll to DOWNLOAD PHONEBOOK and press OK.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Did you try a reverse pair? Having the phone find the car instead of vice-versa? That seems to help 90% of android problems.

Although in my case I find if I have a problem its not the car, its my phone locking up bluetooth. It does that to wifi from time to time too :p
I've tried everything.

Tony

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've tried everything.

Tony
Have you tried changing to a newer rom? If you dont know what i'm talking about dont try it.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
967 Posts
Deleted -

I think I was going to say that since the phone is based on a galaxy s 2 it should be 100% compatible with sync. It must have screwed up my text when I was writing this on my phone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So last night i got in my car and just started driving and sync comes on and says its paired with my phone, i was like wtf, all of a sudden it started working, i didn't change anything or do anything different... lol, o well, i'll see if it decides to work today :s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts