Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its weird no matter what I do the parking lights are on.

I.E the license plate lamp, and the bottom right and left stop lamps..

Ppl keep flashing me from behind thinking I still have my parking brake partially engaged.. is there a way to turn off the parking lights?

Or is this even normal?

BTW. I TO experience some shuddering at low speeds and also it seems like the gear is like dropping into place at low speeds.

However I am was a manual driver and given this isnt a automatic (dual clutch) the shudder is much like my shuddering when I start the car near where the clutch engages or when I dont give it enough gas.. its probrably normal.

People expect the DSG to perform exactly like an automatic when it ISNT. However if people have REAL problems with their tranny and its alot of people. That should be a cause for concern.

I hope the drop in Quality from ford is primarily due to the MFT. I've given up on bluetooth music. Screws up my system too much.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do believe in Canada the Focus uses DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?
We have plenty of Canadian Focus owners here who would know...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I do believe in Canada the Focus uses DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?
We have plenty of Canadian Focus owners here who would know...
Althoug I do have the DRL on mine (headlights on all the time unless in P mode), I don't see the same comportement as the OP mention. I think it is a problem with the light configuration on the car so I suggest to OP to go see his dealer to fix this problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a thread about the DLRs in the US. If you get the dealer to turn them on all of the lights come on.

In Canada I have read that DLRs are required so I don't know about the other lights coming on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Althoug I do have the DRL on mine (headlights on all the time unless in P mode), I don't see the same comportement as the OP mention. I think it is a problem with the light configuration on the car so I suggest to OP to go see his dealer to fix this problem.

Voldar,

Is your license plate and bottom of each side of the tail lamps illuminated allll the time?

My parking light instrumentation light is always on, no way it turns off whether driving or in P.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My wife's 03 Forester had a european style "city" light switch (Subaru puts them on top of the steering column shroud) which she accidently pushed when cleaning the interior. Took me several minutes to figure out why the parking lights were constantly "on". I don't know whether the new "world" Focus is delivered to this side of the pond with the "city" light feature, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Leomon,

I tested more. I use "Auto" mode on my lights and here is what I see on mine:

Here is what I get :
- if in N : I have my plate lit up and the parking lights are ON (normal)
- if in P : I have my plate lit up and the parking lights are ON (normal)
- if in D or S, the parking lights are OFF (I suppose the plate is lit up or not depending of the daylight).

I do have on the dashboard the parking light always on, it seems to be a caracteristic of Focus though (DRL enabled for Canadian Ford cars). I saw the same thing on a Suzuki I drove 3 weeks ago.

I hope this help you. If you have anything to ask, I am here. I will try to give you the answers as much as I can. I am not over the "honeymoon" period with my new car yet. (I have it since 1 oct). For now I love everything on it. We'll see after this honeymoon time, though.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds like you're having similar issues as me. Light settings don't function as they should. Dealership tried to shrug it off as non issue, pushed them back, tested out other cars on the lot and mine was the odd one out. Now they're going to "look into" reports of it, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of fix. I have some unrelated parts on order and when they get them in I will raise this issue again. But until then I don't know if there's much we can do.

As for the dashboard light. It seems in Canada (because of DRLs) the dashboard indicator is ALWAYS on if the car is on, no way around this, it's just poor planing when bringing the cars to Canada. It serves a purpose in the US, but for CAN it's just a green led.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just checked and sure enough my rear end is lit up like the forth of july.

Might explain a few honks.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Ok, my bad. [8]
This morning I looked closer to the reflection of my lights on the back of the front car and I saw that even in drive, the parking lights are ON. So, leomon, I do have the same thing as you. I do use the Auto mode though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
DRL laws require that the tail lights be on as well. (In some Countries)
My wife's Opel Astra Turbo has DRL and it does exactly what you are describing.
Park lights ON , Tail lights ON, Number plate lights ON.
I'm glad my Focus does not have it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MGbox,

What problems are you having with your lights?

Okay, so it seems normal then atleast.

Thats good.

Only problems then so far are some far and few between shuddering at low speeds and the MFT freezing. Not bad, Mine was built in mid October so maybe their starting to iron out some issues

·
Registered
548 Posts
The light settings just don't function or serve any purpose. DLRs are only slightly dimmer than reg headlights. Ambers are always on, tail lights always on, vanity light always on and bright as [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*, people think I'm in reverse at night. Even the dash appears lit up during the day, not 100% on this.

Ambient light in drivers door has been broken since day 1.

Setting the lights to the 2nd setting "parking lights" doesn't kill the headlights and DLRs. It does it ever other focus I've tested. Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dealer just called and is saying its normal again. We tested an SEL and TI, both worked fine with mine being the odd ball out. This time they tested a new TI that exhibits the same symptoms so they're saying it's fine. There should be no difference between SEL and TI in terms of lighting right?

I'm not done investigating this.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dunno. So an SEL and TI that was tested appear normal, book appointment for service, they compare to a third vehicle which matches my symptoms. We now have 2 vehicles exhibiting symptoms and 2 without. Technician says my car is fine. Then that would indicate that the other two cars are functioning improperly.

Obviously a larger sample size is needed, test all the cars and compare. I'm gonna meet up with Justy (another local Focus owner and member on here) later and hopefully see a difference side by side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have all my park lights on at all times. I have an SE with sports package. No matter what position the headlight switch is in, the moment I turn the car on all the park lights and dash lights come on.

It doesn't really bug me except that it seems weird to have an off position when they're never off or to have a dash indicator light to tell me my park lights are on when they're always on.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
548 Posts
If the car is off and the lights are set to off (or auto) the green LED turns off. Turn it to parking or ON and the led lights up.

Of course once you start it it's always on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We picked up our new 2012 Focus Titanium a week ago and I found that the same issue as Leomon and Voldar Re. Parking Light (green LED) on the dash ALWAYS ON. I quizzed the agent and several people he consulted from the dealership and they said "Aren't you glad they're always on?". I basically told them "what use is the OFF switch if it doesn't serve it's purpose. I understand that DRL is required (headlights are on all the time, except in P). Anyway, my wife will bring back the car in the dealership to install the winter tires and asked her to bring up the issue with the service advisor people and see what they say. Also, mine came WITHOUT a switch to turn on/off the rear dome light--is this an added option? or is this the normal configuration for the 2012 Focus.

Eagerly waiting for resolution on this matter.

Cheers to all!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts