Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
The dash on my 00 was pretty chewed up when first got it (you know, wear and tear over time) and it seemed like there was nothing I could do to change it besides replacing the whole dash. That was a little pricey for me, so 2 cans of 'SEM Flat Black' later this is my dash now.
Tell me what you think!

Dont mind the tan look around the vents and edges, its just the flash & the flat black.
I removed EVERYTHING before spray to make sure every inch of the stock color was black.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Looks good. Props :]

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That looks actually very nice. I have the two tone grey dash theme going on (OEM) and kinda getting fed up with it so this looks like a nice alternative.
Did it take long to dry & did you put some kind of clear after?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
looks really good. you should do the rest of the interior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ runfocusrun - Didnt take very long to dry at all, about 20 min to dry to the touch but it takes 24 hours to dry complete. No clear, they do sell it if you want it but I love the flat finish. The paint is amazing its nothing like the Krylon paints, no runs, no orange peel, nothing. Well worth the 10.00 a can!

www.vinylprosem.com has the best deals I have found so far.

Next up is the center console, back door and small things like the dome light surround. I'll keep the thread alive with updates!

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Wait... so did you tape things off? Or did you physically remove the dash, etc?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dash stayed in the car. Everything was taped off and things like the front window and the center console were covered. The only things that had to be removed were the radio, radio bezel, A pillars, glove box and the vents (vents and glove box were painted separate).

Dont get me wrong, masking it all wasnt fun! half way through I wanted to give up and just rip the dash out and paint it but I didnt give up!

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Good job , I like it too.[thumb]

·
Registered
524 Posts
nice man looks good

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thnxs for the info & the link. I will def look into this. Keep us posted with all the rest, very interested in the final result.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Dash looks great, however the center radio bezel red doesn't seem to flow. Do you have anything else you can paint red to tie it all in together?

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
looks sweet i like it

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
You did something similar to what I did, the bottom half of mine is black, the rest is all dark gray. Looks pretty good.

I was just going to say that I've had mine now for 5 months and still no problems with chipping or scratching. Holding up really well.

The only thing I did have a problem with is paint coming off where the dash makes contact with the door, from opening and closing it, it'll start to come off. But you can always touch it up later.

How many coats did you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only thing I did have a problem with is paint coming off where the dash makes contact with the door, from opening and closing it, it'll start to come off. But you can always touch it up later.

How many coats did you use?
I have the same problem, but compared to what it used to look like its very much worth it. It took 3 coats for full coverage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts