Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brakes are shot at 14k starting... the rotors on the front are warped like cottage chese, the pads are good, but damn they do not grab well now. the rear shoes are cracked, the outter ones, towards the end... what are my options? i am considering brembo regulat rotors with some hawk/axis ceramic pads. i think the shoes might be ok, but they make weirgh whine or scratch noise.... let me know...

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
WARRANTY................... although they are not covered under warranty for the most part, like the pads, you can still raise hell of there is a problem on this. What are your driving habits like?

If they are trashed that early on in the vehicle's life, and your drive normal, the first place I'd be going to would be the dealership.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you live anywhere near mountains or roads with grade, they'll simply call "wear and tear item". My brakes went to nothing in about 15,000 miles. maybe 25,000. But that was after a mountain pass run....

Upgrade to aftermarket pads, and they'll last twice as long and have better stopping. I'd machine the rotors, or replace them.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'd suggest not pissing around with the dealer...just get a good set of aftermarket pads and rotors. Ford uses a soft rotor with a hard pad (bad combination) that results in worn rotors in an extremely short interval. Even if you do get them to warranty your brakes, you'll just be right back where you are in another ~15,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i dont believe brembo has any rotors in the 10.9".

check there is a thread titled 2005 brakes. read that.
your options are pretty much zxtuner.com for stock size rotors. hawk and ebc for pads and you are set.
or you can do what massive suggested. i think he bought the svt front valiper and braket, then sometype of svt aftermarket rotor. gives you bigger rotor, with many more options.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
after about 6 sets of stock rotors and pads (all covered under warrenty). my local dealer changed it out everytime i had my oil change. i am good friends with the guy who always works on my car, and he even said the focus has shitty brakes so he would always slap a new set on everytime i had my car serviced.

so this was my stock set up after 300 miles (i just had my car serviced)

and here is my new set up after 300 miles

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
aftermarkey brakes is the way to go, after 10k miles i had my car torots were warped and smamaged very badly

my new ones are much better

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i got the rotors from zxtuner.
and the pads i got from partswarehouse (i think this is it). i got the ebc greenstuff pads.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yupp got the green stuff on my car. granted they make a hell of a lot of dust compared to stock, but they can stop me PRETTY freakin fast! just upgrade both pads and rotors at the same time. i did pads first for bout 5000 miles then rotors...i have to sand them down a bit more to get rid of the cricket sound that they emit lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts