Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has there own opinion on oil and break-ins and synthetics and dino oils and everything else. I did my oil at 800 miles, 1500, and 3000 miles. The first three were using fords motorcraft filter and fords 5-20 synthetic blend. I am keeping records of oil changes during the break-in period. No matter what anyone on this planet says you have to give at least 1500 miles on your engine to "polish" your moving parts from top to bottem. Keeping your engine at varying speeds and not staying on the highway for a long time. The first oil change, the one that changed the factory oil, I noticed the oil was almost greeninsh in some lights. It was thick looking and was not real dirty. The second oil change was dirtier than the first. I noticed some particles I guess you can say, left over on a coffee filter I use everytime i change my oil. The third oil change at three thousand miles and the oil was almost perfect. The color was very good and there was nothing but an oil stain on the coffee filter. The next change at 6000k the oil had three thousand miles on it and was darker in color but as of tonight the filter had nothing on it. Today I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil for my 6000 mile oil change. Now as god as my witness the car felt better and smoother. The biggest improvement seemed to be the fifth gear acceleration. Call BS on this but, I noticed it and plan on using mobil one for the rest of my awsome Focus's days. I plan on keeping this car until it dies. But if you guys put this into perspective, lets say you go to by a used Focus. The young lad has a history of oil changes from beginning until now. All were done with a high quality synthetic motor oil and were all done at there regular scheduled times. Would you buy that car? Maybe you would by mr ricers focus with no documentations and cigarette burns in the interior. So point is, use the best keep all of your receipts and have a record of your cars maintenance intervals so when it is time to sell her at 65k you can demand top dollar because you took CARE of her. So now think about your oil opinions and see if any of this hits the spot. A car is always worth more with the history. And I still say my car is a cherry and faster than it should be but not a soul lives for 100 miles from me to show them.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
well on my new 05 i just got my dad and i devised a plan to help my engine prolong its life and break it in best we can.

what we are gonna do is let the stock oil and filter take its course for the first 3000miles and then i am undecided if i want to go in for my free oil change with the dealer but if i do or not, the 2nd or 3rd oil change will be sufficient enough though to change to the oil that'll ill be changing into the car's engine for the rest of its life with me.

the oil my dad and i use is AMSoil, its not really marketed as much as it should but its REALLY good and its a synthetic (of course) and has the lowest engine wear rating amongst all the oils, and has been used in cars for like 15,000 miles with only 1 filter change so mobil's little new syntheic oil endurance or what ever stuff now its kinda outdated AMSoil has had that stuff for awhile. i will also switch to a AMSoil filter which can catch smaller stuff than any other oil filter.

just my 2¢ and what ill be doin for my car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just changed mine with some Redline. I knid of wish I hadn't, just because of availiability. I think I'm going to go with mobil. You can get that stuff anywhere. I am going to swap out my transmission fluid with Redline though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redline is def. good stuff, I used that in my BMW's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts