Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Focus Fanatics, I was able to determine that this header was a direct fit for the MK3, so I bit the bullet and got one installed last week. I wanted to share my experience with this header to help other folks who are thinking about installing a header.

The removal of the stock exhaust manifold is the most laborious part of this process. You're going to have to remove the windshield cowl, the underengine tray,exhaust brace, and part of the rear and passenger upper engine mounts. You have to do all this because you're going to need every inch of clearance to remove the stock exhaust manifold from the engine bay.

In my case, after unbolting the passenger UMM and RMM and lowering the engine an inch or two on a jack, I pulled the it forward while at the same time pulling out the exhaust manifold and was able to get the manifold out. So it is possible to do this as a one-man job, but would have been much easier with a buddy.

Also, I couldn't get the two O2 sensors off of the manifold while it was inside the engine bay, but still had enough clearance even with them on the manifold as it was being removed. I’ve seen other threads that mentioned that the primary O2 sensor cable is too short with the new manifold, but with the OBX header, it will be just long enough. You’ll have to remove one of the mounts for the O2 sensor cable bundle and that will allow the stock primary O2 sensor to fit.

With the OBX header, you’ll also get a bonus of weight reduction – without the heat shield and with the new header (which also loses the flex pipe mount), you’re shedding about 8 lbs.

As for sound and performance, with my Magnaflow catback and secondary cat, there is a definite increase in exhaust noise, but you can keep it subdued if you don't lay into the throttle and it doesn't drone. Performance wise, I can definitely feel it pulling more strongly, mostly in the mid and high end.

So I’m pretty happy with the header – just remember to set aside a weekend or so to get the thing installed. Lastly, here's a comparo pic of stock and OBX:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, forgot to mention that, I do already have a tune from Tom. After I got the 15B22, I got a new ECU strategy that is working much better with the tune than my last strategy.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Great write up,,,,,,,,rep point for you,,,,,,,,

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
good to hear man. I'm loving my header for sure.

·
Focus Preacher
3,416 Posts
Thanks to Focus Fanatics, I was able to determine that this header was a direct fit for the MK3, so I bit the bullet and got one installed last week. I wanted to share my experience with this header to help other folks who are thinking about installing a header.

The removal of the stock exhaust manifold is the most laborious part of this process. You're going to have to remove the windshield cowl, the underengine tray,exhaust brace, and part of the rear and passenger upper engine mounts. You have to do all this because you're going to need every inch of clearance to remove the stock exhaust manifold from the engine bay.

In my case, after unbolting the passenger UMM and RMM and lowering the engine an inch or two on a jack, I pulled the it forward while at the same time pulling out the exhaust manifold and was able to get the manifold out. So it is possible to do this as a one-man job, but would have been much easier with a buddy.

Also, I couldn't get the two O2 sensors off of the manifold while it was inside the engine bay, but still had enough clearance even with them on the manifold as it was being removed. I’ve seen other threads that mentioned that the primary O2 sensor cable is too short with the new manifold, but with the OBX header, it will be just long enough. You’ll have to remove one of the mounts for the O2 sensor cable bundle and that will allow the stock primary O2 sensor to fit.

With the OBX header, you’ll also get a bonus of weight reduction – without the heat shield and with the new header (which also loses the flex pipe mount), you’re shedding about 8 lbs.

As for sound and performance, with my Magnaflow catback and secondary cat, there is a definite increase in exhaust noise, but you can keep it subdued if you don't lay into the throttle and it doesn't drone. Performance wise, I can definitely feel it pulling more strongly, mostly in the mid and high end.

So I’m pretty happy with the header – just remember to set aside a weekend or so to get the thing installed. Lastly, here's a comparo pic of stock and OBX:

Please re-upload the image on another host.. thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please re-upload the image on another host.. thanks!
Are you viewing it on Tapatalk? For some reason, the image won't show up on Tapatalk, but it does show up in Chrome on my laptop. I'll see if I can rework it so it works on Tapatalk as well.

·
Focus Preacher
3,416 Posts
Are you viewing it on Tapatalk? For some reason, the image won't show up on Tapatalk, but it does show up in Chrome on my laptop. I'll see if I can rework it so it works on Tapatalk as well.

regular plain pc! :)

It's just for some reason google doesn't like sharing your image... to other countries??

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah I can see the pic now. Looks good! I installed the fswerks header on my car. took about 3 hours with 2 people doing it. it was a pain in the ass but totally worth it. I love the feel of my car now.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just curious man did you get a CEL? I just ordered mine and was curious as to how you fixed it if you did get one.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
you ordered a fswerks header or obx?

I did get a check engine light with the fswerks header. you will most likely get a light no matter what header you chose. I have a aftermarket tune on my car, and my tuner was able to turn the rear o2 sensor off which is the cause of the check engine light. so to answer your question, you fix it by getting a tune. you should have a tune anyway if you are going to run a header so it keeps your engine safe.

Reactions: Gi_Jo_Nathan

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas...I plan on getting a tune. Can I simply take it to a tune-up shop and they can tune it for me without me getting a physical tuner? Nooby question...and yes I got the OBX header!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
no you can't do that. Tuners now remap the ECU. you need someone who has the programs and know how to be able to do that.

Reactions: jman29758

·
Registered
43 Posts
Damn....what tuner do y'all recommend for my '13 sedan?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well I would recommend Tom at focus power. he does a full custom tune with data logging and when you add mods he will update it for free. I've had his tune for almost a year now and been the best mod I've done. I know Mike are RDC offers a tune and I've heard good thins about it. Mike is doing a lot for the mk3 community so you cant go wrong with him either. his tune is a canned tune. more of a one size fits all kind of thing.

Reactions: jman29758

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks alot for the replies man I think I'm gonna go with Tom at focus power. I've heard good things so I'll definitly get that set up with him. Do you recommend for me to just wait to install the header when I have the tune ready then?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts