Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So I've stepped into the world of Focus motoring by purchasing a second hand 2005 1.6 five door (European spec) and picked it up on Friday.

It took about 18 hours to detect our first problem. Pulled up in an underground parking garage, locked the car via remote key fob and suddenly the lights and wipers (front and rear) decided to turn themselves on...

Turning on and off the wipers had no effect, nor adjusting the lights, nor starting the car and stopping it again. In the end, we discovered that pulling the light switch out to activate the fog lights stopped everything.

We put it down to something weird, but my wife called to say that it did it again while she was driving down the highway!

I had a search around the forum and sounds like it might be the GEM. Any ideas on possible causes? We got a 6-month warranty, so looks like it's back to the dealer - but wanted to see if we could guide them in the right direction, as it's intermittent.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi tonyadamson,

Welcome to the Focus world! [:)] Intermittent issues can be difficult to diagnose. Since it is so new to you, and still under warranty, you have the right idea to bring it to your dealer for inspection. I'd only be guessing if I offered suggestions, but they will be best able to determine why that is occurring.

~Natasha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Natasha,

Thanks for replying! I am also feeling that this will be quite hard to diagnose, so I wanted to scan opinion to see if there might be a direction to point them in. Perhaps they can do that best themselves.

If anyone else has ideas, they would be gratefully received.

Tony

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Yes I had a similar problem. If the Euro cars are wired anything like the US cars are, then your problem is at the negative battery terminal. Check out the terminal to see if there are 2 small black wires that connect to that terminal. On US spec models these connect via ring terminals on a stud with a nut. The ring terminal on one of those wires had broken- but it didn't appear broken at first. I had to remove the nut, and pull the wires off the battery terminal before I could see that it was broken. I then located an appropriate sized ring terminal, stripped the wire, and put both wires back on the battery terminal with one crimped ring terminal. That solved the problem.

Losing a ground connection can cause some freaky electrical stuff to happen, but it's an easy fix. Both those wires are grounds, so you can crimp them on a terminal together.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Many Hatchback owners have had issues with the wiring to the hatch (inside it's rubber protective tube) going bad over time. When the wires break, or lose insulation & short to each other, MANY strange things can happen.

With my OWN 4 dr. sedan, I had a "weird" things don't work right situation that turned out to be a loose connector where the door harness plugs into the body harness. On mine there are TWO connectors at the door post, visible when door is opened, twisted the knurled knob - pulled apart - then reconnected... - problem solved!

The wires inside this harness have caused issues for others, since the driver's door gets the most exercise it seems to be the most common failure point after the hatch that flexes MORE when it opens...

Luck!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Natasha,

Thanks for replying! I am also feeling that this will be quite hard to diagnose, so I wanted to scan opinion to see if there might be a direction to point them in. Perhaps they can do that best themselves.

If anyone else has ideas, they would be gratefully received.

Tony
My pleasure! I hope you are able to find some ideas to resolve your issue. Have a great day!

~Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts