Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Spin
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, not mine yet, I'm saving up for them.

I decided on 15" Enkei Rs6's, link to picture below:

http://edgeracing.com/2004/Ford/Focus/wheel/3507/

I really wanted 17"s or at the least 16"s at first, but due to price and my budget I'm going for 15". They do fit the same tires as my stock rims, I just have to take it to a tire shop and have them make the switch. (I wonder if they do that?)

What do you guys think, sensible choice or so wack.
 

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
i would have gone with the Rs5 but i see that they are sold out. reason being, i think they have a more simplistic look which is always a good thing.
 

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
Joined
·
8,609 Posts
Why don't you just wait until your 15" tires wear out to get a new set of rims and tires at the same time? That way you could get a discount on both.

I do like Enkeis, but personally I don't see myself buying 15's unless I'm going for really huge weight savings for autocross. My 16's look small to me, but that's just my 2¢.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
Hey, I understand being budget conscious... congratz on the new wheels!!! I'm sure they'll look great on your ride!! Post pics up once they're on.

And those Enkei's are bound to weigh less than stock, so i'm sure your focus will pull a little faster now!
 

·
Spin
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigjordan said:
i would have gone with the Rs5 but i see that they are sold out. reason being, i think they have a more simplistic look which is always a good thing.
I like the RS6's because the spokes look bolted on...

bigjordan said:
Why don't you just wait until your 15" tires wear out to get a new set of rims and tires at the same time? That way you could get a discount on both.

I do like Enkeis, but personally I don't see myself buying 15's unless I'm going for really huge weight savings for autocross. My 16's look small to me, but that's just my 2¢.
I could, but my my current tires have 3007 miles on them, I could afford just the rims alone in a few months.

I kinda like the idea of buying 15s, I haven't seen many people sporting aftermarket 15s.

I also heard the bigger the rim you get, the more the performance hit...
 

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
dont listen to anyone who tells you to get bigger wheels. just get some good performance tires and lower your car. it will look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,340 Posts
BobBernard said:
also heard the bigger the rim you get, the more the performance hit...
Generally, the larger the wheel, the heavier it is. This means more unsprung weight at each corner, which [:)][:)][:)][:)]s up handling. Also, the engine/tranny have a harder time moving a larger wheel, cuz of its diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,340 Posts
bigjordan said:
dont listen to anyone who tells you to get bigger wheels. just get some good performance tires and lower your car. it will look good.
bigger wheels arent necessarily bad, in fact, if theyre lightweight models, they can be really nice. Find some OZ ultraleggeras, good looks and extremely light weight, even in larger sizes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
^^^^^ exactly. The bigger the wheel, the more your unsprung mass, the more the weight of the wheel, the more your performance numbers will creep down.

I have 17's, but I'm more interested in handling and looks than performance.

Get some good, cheap performance tires like Kumho's and throw in the SVT suspension. You'll love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
OZ are also extremely expensive aren't they? Nice wheels though...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the bigger wheel sizes allowed you to run lower profile tires, which improve handling by limiting sidewall flex?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,392 Posts
You should have asked about wheels first...tirerack.com has 17" Ford Racing wheels on clearance for $89. I sure wish I had the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
^^Black&Tan^^ Yes and No. The shorter wall part is correct. The larger wheels are typically heavier compared to smaller wheels of the same material. Unsprung weight also deals with handling. The more weight on the wheel side of the strut the harder it is for the strut and spring to do its job making it react slower.
Another fact about larger wheels is it is not the diameter (if you keep the overall height the same) the engine/tranny has trouble with, it is the weight. Even the higher speed rated tires too. More traction comes with the cost of stress to the drivetrain and suspension and brakes.
The factors above also make the factory brakes fade quicker. There is so much more traction that the brakes can't hold on as well.... This is a little bit of the info. Hope that this helps.[:)]
 

·
Spin
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dazada said:
You should have asked about wheels first...tirerack.com has 17" Ford Racing wheels on clearance for $89. I sure wish I had the money.
I checked those out, and though some are totally nice at a good price (cheaper than the 15s I'm looking at, actually), I'm sort of sold on the 15s.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
I have 5 of the Enkei rs6 17", here are some pics so you know what they are going to look like on your car. You can photoshop them with your correct tire/wheel size if you like.

edit, here is a pic I just took with the 1.8" Progress springs installed on the same rims.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
enkei makes a good rim! congrats!

mine have taken a beating with these florida roads and not a dent or scatch on them!!!
 

·
Spin
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eazyrider_tim said:
I have 5 of the Enkei rs6 17", here are some pics so you know what they are going to look like on your car. You can photoshop them with your correct tire/wheel size if you like.

edit, here is a pic I just took with the 1.8" Progress springs installed on the same rims.



I already did the Photoshopping (Hard to get the proper scale though).

Looks good![8D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
15" is way to small.... go at least 16 or 17" -it will be worth it...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top