Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Rota Grids from Fedex. I went to install them on the car, and it turns out that the brake caliper barely scrubs against the rim from behind. There are two points on the caliper that will scrub against the backside of the spokes. Anyway, I have hubcentric rings coming in the mail for them, but I don't think that will fix the problem at all. Am I going to have to get wheel spacers to bring them out enough to clear the brakes? It was so disappointing.

I really don't want to have to buy spacers now. The guy who had the rims before me (on an SVTF) said they cleared the brakes fine without the hubcentric rings for him. I guess the SVTF's have different brakes than ZX3's.

Anyway, if someone could help me, I would be most appreciative. I'm scared I'm going to have to buy spacers.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
if they were NOT hitting on an SVT...they should have cleared your brakes FINE......that is wierd......

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What size? I have the 17's and they fit with no problem, and I would think the same for 16's...

^^^ and he's right, if they fit an SVT they should fit a ZX3 just fine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're 16's. The brakes made huge grooves in the backs of the spokes, around .5mm. You can BARELY see where the scrubbed from the outside as well, if you put your face in front of the rim.

I always have problems like this, where no one else has them. Dammit.

The caliper has an edge on each end that sticks out a little bit more than the rest of the caliper. That's what is scrubbing.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Are your brakes just about gone?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Well, i guess you need to get probably 1/8" spacers.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Well, son of a bachi. [:(]
I'd say you could grind off those protrusions, but unfortunately they're needed for the spring clips.

I still can't imagine why they're rubbing on a standard ZX3 vs the SVT with much larger brakes. [dunno]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Why, because the svt calipers are farther out from the center of the rim.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Son of a bitch. Nothing can ever go as planned for me, something always screws it up.

*sigh*

Anyone know where to get some decent spacers that won't cost another hundred bucks? I saw some 5mm Eibach's for 66 bucks, but I'm not entirely sure that would be enough.

Dammit dammit dammit. I'll put the other front wheel on and see if it has the same problem I suppose. I just won't drive on it at all.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Why, because the svt calipers are farther out from the center of the rim.
^^^Very astute observation. [;)] You get a star for the day. [:D]
There's definately more clearance on the spokes in that area according to the picture.

Dang T-V, I'm bummin' for ya. [:(]
Is there enough material left to hold the spring clips in place if you do a little "minimal" clearance grinding?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Wanna trade for my 18"? I was wanting to go back to 17"s but the 16's would be just as good for auto-x racing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your rims are pretty awesome. However, I just got new 16" tires which will be switched for the 4 on the rims.

Your rims are awesome though, and I really appreciate the offer. I think I'll just get the spacers and hope for the best. I wonder if 5mm would be enough to fix the problem?

I can't possibly imagine that I'm the only one on FF with 16" Grids on a ZX3? Maybe someone who does will see the post.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yeah, the 5mm shoiuld be enough.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went outside and the brakes scrub exactly the same on the other front wheel.

I guess this means I'm buying the spacers.

If I got a cheaper brand than Eibach, would there be a noticable difference in quality? I'm running low on cash and don't really feel up to spending another 70 bucks right now.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
T-V said:
I can't possibly imagine that I'm the only one on FF with 16" Grids on a ZX3? Maybe someone who does will see the post.
More than likely if they do, they have a 42mm offset.
You lucked out by finding one of the rare sets of 45mm offset, though it didn't work out so good...

Get some 1/2" washers of different thicknesses from the hardware store.
Mount them between the wheel and the hub.
Once you have the right amount to prevent the grinding, measure the thickness of what you came up with.
DON'T drive it like that though!
Just have it up on jackstands to do a test fit.

I'm betting 5mm will be more than enough to fix it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Got some cheap ass spacers from the local rim shop. I put them on without the centering rings for now. They look great and my ride quality hasn't degraded.

I am a little concerned about using the stock lug nuts with the spacers in place. It took 5mm off the bolts. However, I made them super tight. I think they'll be fine as they are.

Anyway, of course I ran into another problem. My Ford Dealer messed up one of the lug nuts on my back right wheel. All the edges got rounded off, so it's impossible to get off with a lug wrench. SO, I have to take it by the dealer tommorow; they're going to replace the lugnut and get if off for me. So I'm running with 3 Rotas and a Stocker.

:(

So many things have gone wrong today...

Hopefully once I get my last rim on the car, and get those centering rings on within the next few days (whenever they get here), I'll be squared away.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Sounds like a lovely day. How did Bondy's manage to round off the lug? Do you have the "chrome" ones (the ones that are steel with a "chrome" cheap-o cover like mine)? That sounds hard even if you try to do that... That's crazy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent you a MySpace message, Dan.

Anyway, yeah, I dunno how they did it, it might not have been them. But I think it was. I just know that it looks like butter and they were the last ones to touch it. It was also ridiculously tight. I couldn't get it off with my foot. And yeah, they are chrome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts