Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, this thing is awesome. If you have an opportunity to get one, TAKE IT. It completely changes the feel of the shifts. One of the easiest and most noticable upgrades so far. Thanks to jacksfour for the great price! w00t! [woot]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
focusin said:
I gotta say it does feel good, its also realy FIRM.
uuuuuhhhh...[paranoid]...we're still talking about the shifter...RIGHT?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Dear lord do i need to edit my post? LOL

Damn bunch of kiddies...[;)]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
focusin said:
Dear lord do i need to edit my post? LOL

Damn bunch of kiddies...[;)]
LOL! HEY! I'm three months older than you (physically, anyway)!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just bought one less than a week ago, and I'm so excited to put it in!

On another note I installed my SVT Pedal Set today and I LOVE them! They feel so much more responsive than the stock ones, I suppose that's from the raised plastic and metal design ... but I truly love them!

Thanks to Tony from NewEdgePerformance for all of the above!

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey do you need anything other than common tools to put this in? Someone said lithium grease, so I would suppose I need an applicator type gun too ... what did you use?

·
Registered
950 Posts
^ is it possible to keep the factory knob?

·
Registered
461 Posts
yeah the factory knob will work, or aftermarket knobs too ... that steel one gets very hot (at least my aluminum one does!)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just used the exisiting grease that was left from the old knob, and I haven't had any problems. I haven't had a problem so far with a scalding hot knob (even thought it hasn't been burning hot yet). You can use the stock knob, but after trying it for a day it didn't feel as FIRM and RIGID as the aftermarket knob that came with it.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I think I am going to buy the Steeda Polished shift knob from newedge soon, I hope it will make it feel a little better.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So far I haven't found a shift knob I'm impressed with. I still have the original, and the one I bought off eBay almost a year ago sits in the car now ... but none really stick out in the crowd to me yet ... I was thinking about a MoMo knob, but they're just so expensive it's hard to click the 'add to cart' button ...

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I realy like the momo knobs but as you said they are damn expensive, I have no issue with puting it in my basket its the checkout button that I cant push. LOL

I ordered the polished Steeda shift knob last night, it will match the polished reverse lockout ring on my Steeda shifter and it has that rubber middle. I dont think its too bad, I just realy need a new knob my stock one's silver paint is coming off the top of it and looks like poo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, glad you like the shifter!! It was one of my favorite mods as well. Careful with the knobs in the summer and winter (i.e., don't put your tongue on in it when it's cold).

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jacksfour said:
Hey, glad you like the shifter!! It was one of my favorite mods as well. Careful with the knobs in the summer and winter (i.e., don't put your tongue on in it when it's cold).
It gets hotter than Hell around here during the summer, but that won't stop me from mindlessly grabbing it when it's about 200 degrees. [8]

·
Registered
461 Posts
I keep a towel in the car to throw over the shifter when it's outrageously hot from sitting in the morning sun ...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice, I installed my new Short Shifter this morning (okay, afternoon; whatever) and I must say, I love it!

The install was easy, and required no knowledge of the car or transmission at all. I simply removed the center console (possibly not required, but I don't have room to shift anyway, so I figured I would give it a shot since this shifter is shorter ...) and then undid some bolts, pry-ed off the connectors (Haynes Manual said to 'pry them with a screwdriver' when I was reading it last night) and switched some stuff out. The hardest part was working with grease-d up parts ... so tricky to fit them back together : )

The easiest way to describe the enw shifter feeling is; imagine shifting gears without neutral. Instead of first to neutral, and neutral to second gear, just imagine first, to second in maybe two inches? It feels more solid, and precise ... and lives up to it's stated 30-40% reduction of throw. I haven't changed out my knob yet, am unsure about my redlinegoods.com shift boots I'm ordering hopefully soon, and I'm uncertain how to fix my console issue (read below) but I like it : )

My Console Issue: I don't know about any of you, but I absolutely hate the center console! I hate that the armrest is designed for automatic driving, not shifting. I hate that it takes up so uch space on the floor (it's huge!) and in the backseat floor area (no one is ever there ... but it's the thought of it!) and I hate it; in general. I had heard there is a different version without armrest, possibly in the SVT cars but cannot get a picture of it anywhere to see if I would like it. I have a part number in my ford focus service manual, so I'll venture to the dealer soon and check it out, probably end up buying it off a ford parts discounted website still depending on price ... but seriously; any other alternatives? I ran without a console for about 6 months earlier in the year, but it's a hassle without cupholders and looks bad all exposed like that ... any suggestions? know anyone who does custom ones?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
My LX had no arm rest and I made sure this new focus would, I'm telling you now unless you are racing that arm rest has never gotten in my way and I love that I have something to relax on during long road trips.

But if I am racing i just put it up, and walla. I agree it is a LITTLE in the way, but I like it too much to want to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts