Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet my new daily driver-03 ZX3. Only 168K km;black, 5-speed manual windows and mirrors.

Stole the winter tires and rims from my $375 now-parts-car.
Been stripping all the usable parts from the donor including all the power windows and mirrors. Installed those (quite the challenge!)
Been shopping for parts as I want to get the upgrades done before winter sets in.
Purchases...
Lowering springs out of Pick n Pull-(look to be Vogtland 40mm)...

Borla Race exhaust also out of Pick n Pull (only $36.05!!!)....

Winter setup-Graspic DS2 tires in 215 45 17....

Wheels undergoing re-finishing....

Future upgrades-4-1 header, flex pipe, EGR delete and a ported 2000 intake.
I must apologize in advance to my wife as I am spending even more time working on cars than before! And adding more parts to an already disorganized garage!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
as someone who wants another focus and also never finds anything good at the junkyard let me say congrats and I'm jealous. Off to a great start

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That'll make a nice DD, lot of work making all the changes!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
Dang I never get lucky at a Yard... You hit a jackpot.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did get a bit lucky and spent a lot of time looking for cars without rust.
And thanks for the offer but the Borla goes on my car!

·
Registered
897 Posts
How is that so rust free that far up north? I'll give you double what you paid for the Borla!
So long as you literately keep it clean and don't let salt collect or sit on it, any car will resist rust allot longer. TLC is all it ever took... sadly to few people care that much anymore...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
Yeah that's the sad truth. I make sure every week in the winter to spray under my wheel well and skirts.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waiting to decide on struts and shocks and do them as all at once.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice find, I also got a Borla out of the junkyard lol. It sounds amazing!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am having a bear of a time getting the crank pulley off of the yellow donor car. Hit it with a impact gun, breaker bar, jack and block of wood under the pulley-no dice.
May have to pull the starter and fab up a flywheel holder. I thought about running a long bolt thought the timing pin hole but I think it would end up bending. And all of the dash wiring is out so no bumping the starter to break it loose unless I run cables from the battery directly to the starter. Not liking that idea.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well since the donor car is going to get junked once I finish stripping what I need I resorted to guerrilla junkyard techniques-I dropped a large scrap stud down the #4 plug and rotated until it hit the head. Large pipe on a socket and she came off no problem.
The reason I was so adamant about pulling the crank pulley...

Old set of Focus Central UDP.
Next-pulling the rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually-next up the DD gets some new shoes.

A set of SES 15 spokes finished in two coats Rustoleum Graphite and two coats Rustoleum Clear wheel paint. A lot darker than expected but still turned out OK.
Tires are Dunplop Graspic DS-2 215 45 17.
time for some drop!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts