Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
finally got around to putting this together, i'll probably end up making a new one and leave enough room on the front to put the ports there instead of the back[?|] . ended up being roughly 2.1 cuft for each sub after the sub volume and port volume was calculated in.

the can is just for comparison though, wasn't drinking on the job. the pics were also taken with a camera phone, hence the crappy quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sorry, I gotta ask. Do you have any angles to diffuse standing waves?

If not, you might consider closed-cell egg-crate foam inside with some polyfill.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FocusInCali said:
ah, experimenting with box volume, ports, etc
yep, and with the whole box building technique. i think i'm actually going to try and make my next one the one i'm going to keep.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
nice job on the box, i'm gonna be busting the fiberglassing stuff out again here real soon. my pervious box ended up cracking under the pressure that the Kappa Perfect was putting on it (both weight and sound waves) the next one i'm doing i'm gonna make sure it's perfect before it goes in the car.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm kind of worried cracking or splitting too, i'll probably build a box with a single chamber and a square port. definetly going to need some support in the middle as the subs weigh 35 lbs each

·
Registered
76 Posts
i run a box that has 5.5 cubic feet horn loaded box in my 02 zx3 earthquake subs and a earthquake 5000 watt amp

·
Registered
621 Posts
quick note of curiosity - did you multply the internal volume vs requirements when you built the box? looks kinda big (which would be a good thing if done properly)
good luch on the project! hope it sounds great when youre finished =p

-Paul

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the box is built almost to the specs i got from SS. little bigger though.

sound really good, loud but as long as you don't crank it up too high it blends in very well with the front speakers

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
lol my first box was so big i had to have someone help me carry it around, it was angled to the backseat (60 degree angle just for your future referance) it was 2 inches from the hatch and 2 inchs from the boot cover. it filled the entire truck it was about 6ft^ it was friggen HUGE. lol i built it out of HDF (high density fiber board) the box alone was just about 120 pounds it would squat my car about an inch, then i stuck the SINGLE sub in it which is anouther 35lbs then the 10lbs amp! it was massive, luckly i could take it out easy with the help of a friend.

I just made a new box that's 3.5ft^ and it's made like a wedge it's probably a foot tall at it's highest point, but because of the angle i can fit a 16inch deep subwoofer in it! it takes up the space of the entire trunk floor though, so i had to build it directly into the car, i can't take it out without taking it apart first!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
for others reading this, the box volume needs to be around the spec'd volume to perform properly and to be dampened properly with spec'd power

box volume and power are related

to maintain a similar box Q (avg is .707):
more power, smaller box
less power, bigger box

and you can change the Q by going larger or smaller with the same power, but be sure you know what you want and exactly how much of a change to go by

If you make the box too big with the required power, it will sound boomy, and also will not be dampened properly and will reach it's excursion limits and damage your sub.

Smaller is safer, sounds tighter, but you need enough power to get the sub moving in the tighter space.

Adding certain amounts of polyfill in a box changes the sound as well. I had too much in my box at first, the bass hit you in the chest, but it didn't have any extension, so I dialed in the sound I wanted by pulling some out.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FocusInCali said:

Adding certain amounts of polyfill in a box changes the sound as well. I had too much in my box at first, the bass hit you in the chest, but it didn't have any extension, so I dialed in the sound I wanted by pulling some out.
hmm, maybe i need to stuff some fill in there, you can feel it in your chest somewhat, but my friend has 800w in his car and you can feel it better. mine sounds a lot better though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts