Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum long time lurker first time post, my focus a 2005 2.0 automatic and today coming back from a dinner, I tried to put the Lever in park but it didn't lock like it should have and I thought it wasn't a big deal and when I turned the car off and tried to take the key out it wouldn't budge turns on and off but the key wontcome out and I think its because it won't lock it self in park.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How about in neutral? Have you tried moving the shifter around while trying to remove the key? May need a second hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah since its an automatic I tried in neutral and park I even tried drive and reverse. But nothing my wife tried to help and nothing. Any ideas I also took the battery off for 5 min or so but nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No its not cuz if it was I would have to unlock it to turn it on but the car works fine, only thing it won't lock in park and the key won't come of and I'm surethere is a connecting because that has never happened to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm that's weird really a lock smith?, I was thinking more that it wuld be the transmission since it won't lock in park. So I thought I would take it to me buddy manager from services to have it check it out and see what he could do, he does everything for me under the table with my other buddy a mechanic, but I thought I could do it my self if any ideas I would still like to hear them.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Sounds like the button on the shifter.

When you try and shift you usually cant unless you push the button in on the shifter. That needs to pop out and release the mechanical part that pushes on an electrical switch.

When i put a different shift handle on mine i put the shifter on so it kept the button pushed in all the time. I had this same issues it wouldnt release the key.

Once i took the shifter off the button poped up and it then released the key.

I figured out what switch it was pushing and i then cut the wire so it was always "un switched" it works fine now.

Try pushing in on the button and let it pop out, maybe its gummed up or something so its partly stuck in.

I think you might be able to press the switch if you poke a key or screw driver into this slot under this little plate cover thing.

If i remember right this is the switch that releases the key with its out. Pushing a key into the slot under the plate might work it enough to switch it and relaese the key.

The black and yellow lead from the switch is the one i cut so i could use my own shifter and still shift and remove the key.

been running the walmart green skull thing latley lol hope this helps some

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes okay I think that's. Exactly what's wrong, okay I will try to do this tmorow morning! And if I hve any qustions I hope that you can help me out at least this gives me a referance and some help. I really apprciate it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Manual trans FTW!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine does the same thing. On the gear shifter there is a small piece of round plastic that I have to pull up on and it clicks the shifter back into place and then the key will pull out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does the same thing. On the gear shifter there is a small piece of round plastic that I have to pull up on and it clicks the shifter back into place and then the key will pull out.
x2 my 06 does the same thing that plastic pisses me off, but i havent ripped into that project yet

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well then if you have to pull up on that plastic that means its a mechanical issues.

I believe in the front of the shifter is a little allen head screw if you loosen that maybe you can adjust the shifter handle and fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well then if you have to pull up on that plastic that means its a mechanical issues.

I believe in the front of the shifter is a little allen head screw if you loosen that maybe you can adjust the shifter handle and fix it.
If it is the same thing mine does it isn't a real big issue, just the little plastic sleeve that covers the metal rod on the shifter slides down and prevents you from fully engaging park

Some epoxy will fix the problem

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ide be upset if i had to replace the lock assembly and its just a cheap plastic cosmetic sleve. [???:)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some issues with my keys on an 04 ZX3 MT. I was able to get it replaced under warranty I think, but I think they may have had a recall out for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts