Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only key i had that stated my car was stolen out of my wife's vehicle. So now the car sits in my garage. I read somewhere that you can buy one key and wipe the old program away and it will reprogram the new key to work. has anyone seen this or even had the trouble to do it? i have a spare key to match the cut( it just opens the door, not start the car) and before i buy a single key, i wanted to see if i should try and buy 2 keys.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry Guy, the PATS system will only allow programming of a new key by the owner when TWO existing programmed keys are present.

The std. answer is that the Ford Dealer or a few locksmiths with the right computer are the only ones who can program replacement keys in the absence of 2 working ones.

When you have ONE working key, a "clone" can be made that shares the same code. the problem with those is that they wear out (battery dies) making them a poor substitute for a proper key.

Unless you can find a mobile locksmith with the right capabilities a tow to a Dealer is the only option.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I guess ill buy the keys and take them to the dealer. They want over $100 for a key and program.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Unfortunately, the Ford software is the only thing that can program keys.

Personally, I'd buy it all through Ford and not somewhere else. You might find them a bit more lenient on pricing if you don't bring in your own parts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks, I guess ill buy the keys and take them to the dealer. They want over $100 for a key and program.
They will need the car as well. You will have to have it towed. Didn't pay attention to your location, but here in California you will need to bring photo ID and written proof the car belongs to you. As in name matches on registration, insurance card etc. Losing the only programmed key is expensive and a hassel. I always recommend people have at least two keys.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
I was in the same situation with an Explorer, stolen keys and only a spare non-chip key. Had a mobile locksmith come to my house and he had two keys made in 20 minutes. A good locksmith should give you two keys, then get a third made, if you have two keys you can make more on your own.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, but that looks like a write up for a key fob.
Unfortunately, the Ford software is the only thing that can program keys.

Personally, I'd buy it all through Ford and not somewhere else. You might find them a bit more lenient on pricing if you don't bring in your own parts.
I've actually had a key get completely stuck in the ignition and a locksmith replaced the key and ignition for about $200. I was 19 at the time and ididnt know if $200 was a good price or not.
I was in the same situation with an Explorer, stolen keys and only a spare non-chip key. Had a mobile locksmith come to my house and he had two keys made in 20 minutes. A good locksmith should give you two keys, then get a third made, if you have two keys you can make more on your own.
I think I'm going to call a bunch of locksmiths before i take it to Ford. I'm definitely getting 2+ keys this time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just had a 2nd key cut and programmed to my car at a local Ford dealer (only 1 key came with the car so couldn't do a self programming of a key). The cost was $41.80 for the key and $55 for the programming of it. Still $92 for a key, but now in the future I can get a key cut and program it myself to the car as I have 2 programmed keys now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just bought an 05 fx3 with a single key. Should I just go to the dealer? I would like to keep this thing awhile and would prefer to not have to mess around with dead batteries.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dealer or a good locksmith, you don't want a "cloned" key with a battery that matches your current one.

Needs to be programmed into the car, any copy without that step is a battery powered clone.

Stock Chipped key doesn't have a battery so once it's programmed into your PCM it's permanent. (PCM recognizes the chip in the key after it's put into the list of recognized keys)

"Fobs" can be programmed in by the owner at any time, just need to do ALL the ones you want to work at the same time.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I figure it this way,

Unless a local locksmith with the capability doesn't have a chipped blank available, why walk in and ask them to cut & program a key you bought elsewhere?

It makes sense for a special style they don't have, not for a regular one. They don't make much on blanks, the cost to you is more for the service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dealer or a good locksmith, you don't want a "cloned" key with a battery that matches your current one.

Needs to be programmed into the car, any copy without that step is a battery powered clone.

Stock Chipped key doesn't have a battery so once it's programmed into your PCM it's permanent. (PCM recognizes the chip in the key after it's put into the list of recognized keys)

"Fobs" can be programmed in by the owner at any time, just need to do ALL the ones you want to work at the same time.
So how do you program the Fobs? My sons car didn't come with a fob so we need to somehow get him a working fob. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts