Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just registered for FF after picking up an '02 ZX3. I was planning on some tasteful mods - smoked upper signals, debadged rear, maybe the shorty antenna mod, new fluids all around, some fuel system cleaner (seafoam)... and a CAI. Maybe new spark plug wires also, are the stock ones as bad as I hear?

Anyway, all that said, I saw this page, which seems to be a reasonable performance upgrade compared to the other kits available.

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man-clone.htm

As a BMW e30 guy, I'm mostly familiar with intake systems that are tough to improve on, stock. This mod looked pretty straightforward - get away from the heat wash, and you get denser air (therefore more air molecules - 10ºF is generally worth 1% air density IIRC). Looking at the aftermarket offerings, the only other thing that jumps out at me is the short ram air kits that ALSO offer a heat shield - the straight shot to the engine probably marginally increases flow, with the volant looking to be of the best design. If one could make the restriction from the cold air you are "sucking" negligible compared to the filter restriction, you should be able to come pretty close to the performance of the Volant, correct? (in other terms, the flow to the airbox far exceeds the flow required by the engine, increasing volumetric efficiency).

My plan is to use a setup similar to that linked above, although with smoother tube if I can to discourage turbulence. 2" seems a little restrictive to me. Has anyone performed this mod, and if so how is the tone and "butt dyno"?

Thanks,

Ryan

PS: great forum, excellent stickies.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
u will get more power out of the stock svt setup and its cheaper!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff, but I was thinking more along the lines of this - users posted impressive temperature reductions.

http://regional.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130398

Along with a K&N Filter, of course.

The key point seems to be this, which I buy: "will say this: Don't remove your snorkel -- my performance IMPROVED once I replaced the missing snorkel. Also, as cool as CAI setups look, my research indicates that the BEST-PERFORMING intake for any normally-aspirated Focus (SVT or stock) is either the SVT airbox and snorkel, or the stock airbox with an SVT snorkel and an Iceman-like side-tube. I don't have the links handy at the moment, but there were some posts here that showed extensive testing with various intakes, and only the Volant came close to out-performing the stock SVT airbox and snorkel arrangement (and the Volant is essentially just a "trick" variation of the stock airbox)."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts