Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it didn't take me long to start modding the car. I put an ORP on. I can't believe how much louder it made the exhaust. Oh yeah, if your a tree hugger, please don't post anything about how it's bad for the world or whatever. It's been said before, don't need to hear it again.
I also decided to make my own intake cause I can't see spending all that money on a name brand or whatever. First thing I decided I needed to do was move the battery. I began by removing the factory intake, battery and all hardware. I took 3/4" aluminum angle, cut it and notched it to make a 7"x9 1/8" rectangle, just big enough for the battery to fit and then cut a piece of aluminum sheet to fit in the rectangle. Drilled some1/8" holes and riveted the two together. By coincidence, this just happened to be about the same size as the now open area where the intake box used to fit. Right between the two black braces. I had to cut 2ea 1" notches from the lip on the one closes to the the fuse box so the tray could sit flush against the side of the brace. I then drilled some 1/8" holes through the tray and braces on both sides and riveted the tray in. I riveted instead of bolting cause there wasn't enough room for bolts and the battery. If I ever need to get to the mount underneath, I'll just have to drill out the rivets. All the neg. and pos. wires reached just fine. I didn't need to extend any at all. The small black wire with the orange stripe I had to pull it out of the wire loom so it would reach. The rest, I just had to get creative in rerouting to fit.
Once that was done, I took a trip to Lowes and bought some ABS pipe, a 90deg elbow, a 45deg elbow, a 90deg rubber elbow and some rubber couplers. Again, I just tried to be creative. I installed the rubber elbow to the throttle body, next the 45deg elbow, after cutting off the female end so a coupler would fit on it, next the MAF turned upside down, so the plug could reach, after that, another coupler and the 90deg elbow, also after cutting off the female end, next another coupler, a 6" piece ABS pipe and finally the filter. I had to add a brace to sturdy it up a little.
It's not the prettiest intake but it's functional and that's what I'm after, don't plan on entering any car shows anytime soon.
Hopefully, I don't suck in any water. When winter comes around, I'll just move the filter up to the MAF.
Let me know what you think and any suggestion would be much apreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesn't look that bad. I think i read something that the fumes leaked when the PVC heats up can actually be damaging to your engine, though. I'm not too sure if there's any truth to that?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't use PVC, I used ABS which doesn't release toxic fumes.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geesh, I was hoping for more than just one response.

·
Registered
560 Posts
doesnt look like something i would use , but if it works then why not , just make sure there isnt any leaks and it is all sitting tight , so it doesnt move while driving other wise you might end of running it over in the long run lol.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
looks good...i have the same filter except in blue...."power adder" ..lol that is the most work extensive home made intake i have seen....its much better than using a drier hose...i like it

·
Registered
505 Posts
I made a home made one as well. I relocated the battery to the same place and I am actually not done with it yet, but I am going to run it behind the head light. Right now it just runs to the front of the engine bay sucking all the hot air. But when I am finished with mine I will post my finished product.

By the way..it looks really good. I like to fab my own things as well, its much more rewarding when it functions really well and its all done by YOU. Such a great feeling.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That is really rigged.

I love it.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
I like it. I think I would raise it up if I were to do the same set up. You know what would really help...? if you get a smaller battery! That would add more room for stuff.

How much did all that cost you?

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's pretty cool for experimenting. I would prefer something that looked a little more finished though. That could be worked on.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Function over form. It works!!!

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
looks good.. but i would pipe the filter so its right behind the bumper.. that way its less likely to take in water

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already had the aluminum for the battery tray and the filter so I think I spent maybe $30 at Lowes for the plumbing.
I think I do want to work on the overall finish of the product. I'm probably going to go to a couple of junkyards and look around and see what I can come up with.
I also have a G-tech Pro, so when I can, I'll get a few runs with it and see if it did anything. Unfortunately though I didn't get any runs with it stock cause I couldn't figure out where I put it but I finally found it in the attic. Don't know why it was up there. Oh well.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
yah I'd move the filter away from being so close to the ground and a little closer to the bumper so you don;t suck in water. I sucked up some in mine and it wasn't preety, although it was fixed 100 bucks later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts